Avocado Mead Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperSkylar

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new here and new to brewing :mug:. I have started a rice and raisin wine, and a pineapple wine. I have a lot of glass 1 gallon jugs, so I would like to keep the recipe for 1 gallon. So I wanted to know if anyone has an avocado mead recipe, I want to make a mead because I already have two wines brewing (but if there are only wince recipes that is fine too). I love avocados and they are on sale for 47 cents here so I figured why not!
Thanks!

Well avocado, lemon, and herb salt goes really well together. Why not include some citrus? Also, avocado may be described as lacking in flavour themselves alone, so to capture the full essence of avocado I would have A LOT of avocados peeled and pitted in the primary. The considerable large amount of oil in avocado may produce a problem with clearing and potential off flavours though. Perhaps you may consider an avocado extract, or lightly toasting or boiling the avocado to rid of some oils. Doing so however may result in loss of avocado flavour.

Bugeaud said:
Well avocado, lemon, and herb salt goes really well together. Why not include some citrus? Also, avocado may be described as lacking in flavour themselves alone, so to capture the full essence of avocado I would have A LOT of avocados peeled and pitted in the primary. The considerable large amount of oil in avocado may produce a problem with clearing and potential off flavours though. Perhaps you may consider an avocado extract, or lightly toasting or boiling the avocado to rid of some oils. Do so however may result in loss of avocado flavour.

How do I post? I'm new to this stuff!

Post a new thread? If that's what you mean then, Go back to the mead forum. Just above the thread "Announcements" there is a button which says "New Thread".

Well avocado, lemon, and herb salt goes really well together. Why not include some citrus? Also, avocado may be described as lacking in flavour themselves alone, so to capture the full essence of avocado I would have A LOT of avocados peeled and pitted in the primary. The considerable large amount of oil in avocado may produce a problem with clearing and potential off flavours though. Perhaps you may consider an avocado extract, or lightly toasting or boiling the avocado to rid of some oils. Doing so however may result in loss of avocado flavour.

How many pounds do you think would be needed for a gallon batch? I am definitely willing to try it, I love the taste of avocados so the oil or aftertaste will be fine by me.
As for the lemon, are we talking about 1 fresh squeezed lemon or 6 cups worth?
And what do you mean by herb salt? What other kinds of ingredients do you think?
Thanks alot :ban:

If it were me, I would like fill up half the primary with avocados (Lol, sorry for the imprecise measurements, but I never really weighed avocados). About lemon, if were talking a gallon batch, probably like 2-4 squeezed lemons, just enough to really taste it, but not too much. I think sourness is kind of nasty in mead. And with herb salt salt... I never checked the ingredients, but I reckon there is like light greens in there like parsley and stuff. On another note, I would make it an off-dry mead, but that's just my tastes.

This is kind of crazy, but I'd add a bit of cilantro to it. I have no idea how it would taste, but I'm sort of a cilantro fiend. I plan on making cilantro wine at some point this year, haha. That, and lemon zest and juice. And a nylon mesh bag to hold the avocados in to keep you sane when you try to rack this stuff. :)

Oh, and btw, I wouldn't take my hypothetical recipe straight to heart. All my numbers are just sort of guesstimates.

I think the real problem is getting rid of the oils.

On a somewhat similar note, nukinfuts29 has tried to make cream cheese wine in the past. I would imagine the lipids in the cheese and the lipids in the avocado would present some of the same difficulties.

I think the real problem is getting rid of the oils.

I concur. Though the oils aren't apparently a problem for SuperSkylar, they still pose the risk of off flavours. (Bitterness I imagine could be one of them.)

If it were me, I would like fill up half the primary with avocados (Lol, sorry for the imprecise measurements, but I never really weighed avocados). About lemon, if were talking a gallon batch, probably like 2-4 squeezed lemons, just enough to really taste it, but not too much. I think sourness is kind of nasty in mead. And with herb salt salt... I never checked the ingredients, but I reckon there is like light greens in there like parsley and stuff. On another note, I would make it an off-dry mead, but that's just my tastes.

This is kind of crazy, but I'd add a bit of cilantro to it. I have no idea how it would taste, but I'm sort of a cilantro fiend. I plan on making cilantro wine at some point this year, haha. That, and lemon zest and juice. And a nylon mesh bag to hold the avocados in to keep you sane when you try to rack this stuff. :)

1 medium avocado is around .5lbs. So what would the ingredient list look like you think?
I remember in one thread someone said use 7-8 pounds of avocado.
2-4 lemons.
I will try cilantro instead of parsley (I too like cilantro) How much should I use?
Anything else? Cinnamon stick, raisins, what kind of spices? I'm open to anything with this one.
I'm guessing 3 pounds of honey, do I need to add sugar too? I have never made mead so I don't know. (I may not use honey, just sugar in which case should I use 2-3 pounds of sugar??)

Well maybe like 15 avocados so 7.5 pounds. (???). I have to go now, but will finish my input on that a little later.

Cilantro is pretty powerful, maybe add half of a grocery store bunch during secondary in a mesh bag so you can remove it easily, take it out when it seems good? Maybe some black peppercorns as well.

The lemon should help oxidation, I wonder if dehydrating the avocados first would help with the oily aspect any or if it wouldn't matter once they rehydrate.

I am a huge boba tea fan, the stuff with big hunks of tapioca in it, and had an avocodo milk version the other day with lots of cinnamon. To my tastes, it was pretty foul. I'd be inclined to go dry and avoid spices usually used with sweet things but that is just me.

Cilantro is pretty powerful, maybe add half of a grocery store bunch during secondary in a mesh bag so you can remove it easily, take it out when it seems good? Maybe some black peppercorns as well.

The lemon should help oxidation, I wonder if dehydrating the avocados first would help with the oily aspect any or if it wouldn't matter once they rehydrate.

I am a huge boba tea fan, the stuff with big hunks of tapioca in it, and had an avocodo milk version the other day with lots of cinnamon. To my tastes, it was pretty foul. I'd be inclined to go dry and avoid spices usually used with sweet things but that is just me.

During secondary? Does that mean after you rack it?

turtlescales said:

The idea of drying the avocodes first seems really smart to me. When u dry meat all the fat (oil/ grease ) melts off and leaves a fairly inense meat flavor left. Idk if the same is true with avocodes but worst case sanarion u will make a badass maranate

The idea of drying the avocodes first seems really smart to me. When u dry meat all the fat (oil/ grease ) melts off and leaves a fairly inense meat flavor left. Idk if the same is true with avocodes but worst case sanarion u will make a badass maranate

+1. I personally dislike avocado, but you will at least have some sort of alcoholic mush that might taste good over pork.

Yeah, another reason I think to go with savory herbs and spices over sweet.... this could be awesome as a steak marinade.

During secondary does mean after you rack. From what I've read and been told, putting stuff in during the primary gives you a somewhat fainter more wine like flavor, and adding in secondary helps to preserve fresh bright flavors a bit more.

As for dehydrating, if you have a Harbor Freight store near you you can pick up a dehydrator for 20 dollars, but I think if you are patient and careful you can do it in the oven. I'd consult google if you decide to go that route.

As I said I am fine with the oils.
I just need to better narrow down what/how much I need to get.
~7 pounds of avocados
~half of a store bunch of cilantro
~2-4 lemons
~(Now how much sugar should I use if I'm not using honey, as well as how much if I do use honey depending on price)

Also, I remember hearing that the oils don't develop fully untill ripe, so if I get em unripe then I think they'll be fine.

I don't know if it is so much you being fine with the oils as the yeast/everything else being fine with the oils. They may or may not interfere negatively in the fermentation process. I know there has been a whooooooole bunch of chatter in years past about olive oil aiding in beer fermentation, but they were speaking of minute amount (less than one drop per 5 gallons). Anything more than that began to negatively affect the brew. I would keep your little yeasty buddies in mind when planning this recipe.

I don't know if it is so much you being fine with the oils as the yeast/everything else being fine with the oils. They may or may not interfere negatively in the fermentation process. I know there has been a whooooooole bunch of chatter in years past about olive oil aiding in beer fermentation, but they were speaking of minute amount (less than one drop per 5 gallons). Anything more than that began to negatively affect the brew. I would keep your little yeasty buddies in mind when planning this recipe.

I see. I will just grab the under ripe ones which haven't produced much oil yet.
Also, I heard caffeine increases the life and reproduction rate of yeast. I have a bunch of green tea if that would help?

Black tea contains tannins which are good for yeast health. A lot of mead makers add a cup of strong black tea to the primary.

Maybe go for some really hardy yeast as well. The rule of thumb I've found for honey amounts per gallon is 2 pounds for dry mead, 3 for semi sweet, and 3.5+ for sweet.

Since you don't know what is going to happen with this, cheap honey should suffice. I bought a 3 pound jar of clover honey from walmart recently for just over $8, they also had 1 and 2 pound packages.

+1 on a bit of tea! I added 3 tables spoons to one of my meads, not done yet so I can't yet say what it does but it was suggested so many times i had to try it. Mouth feel and body they say. I used strong earl grey, let it steep awhile then tossed it in.

Maybe go for some really hardy yeast as well. The rule of thumb I've found for honey amounts per gallon is 2 pounds for dry mead, 3 for semi sweet, and 3.5+ for sweet.

Since you don't know what is going to happen with this, cheap honey should suffice. I bought a 3 pound jar of clover honey from walmart recently for just over $8, they also had 1 and 2 pound packages.

+1 on a bit of tea! I added 3 tables spoons to one of my meads, not done yet so I can't yet say what it does but it was suggested so many times i had to try it. Mouth feel and body they say. I used strong earl grey, let it steep awhile then tossed it in.

Sounds great, do I need to add any sugar? I will use 3 pounds of honey. I have 4 different kinds of yeasts. DV10, Redstar Premier Cuvee, QA23, and BA-11. I am thinking about using the Premier Cuvee because it is already open n has half left, and high alcohol tolerance.

K, Heres what I got:
~1 large mango
~16 Avocados
~3 pounds of honey
~Half a bunch of Cilantro
~2 lemons
~3 tbs of Green tea
Do I need to juice the lemons or just throw em in slices?

In hindsight, I don't think all those avocados are called for. The thing is more avocado than water it seems... I had to stop a 12 avocados because it was just getting to much, and I was worried there wouldn't be enough water. I only managed to get about 4 cups of water in there, the rest was 3 pounds of honey.

Welp... Im bemused as f**K... I put the yeast in... And what do you know... Those F**kers must really love it cuz this morning there was an avocado cloud shooting out of the airlock?! So I went to clean it out, must of loosened the lid slightly because when I did.. THE DAMN CAP SHOT OFF AND SPRAYED MY KITCHEN AND ME WITH LIQUID GUACAMOLE!!! I probably lost about 1 avocado and a bit of liquid in the process... Does anyone know WTF is going on lol, how is the yeast brewing up all this pressure and what not lol... (Also air was getting out from the airlock, I saw it working all the way up until the damn thing exploded..

SuperSkylar said:
Welp... Im bemused as f**K... I put the yeast in... And what do you know... Those F**kers must really love it cuz this morning there was an avocado cloud shooting out of the airlock?! So I went to clean it out, must of loosened the lid slightly because when I did.. THE DAMN CAP SHOT OFF AND SPRAYED MY KITCHEN AND ME WITH LIQUID GUACAMOLE!!! I probably lost about 1 avocado and a bit of liquid in the process... Does anyone know WTF is going on lol, how is the yeast brewing up all this pressure and what not lol... (Also air was getting out from the airlock, I saw it working all the way up until the damn thing exploded..

Sounds like a super agresive fermentation u should rig up a blow off tube

A piece of tubing. Shove it into the bung where the airlock is now. Put other end of tubing into a glass of water, StarSan, vodka, etc.

Omg man... well, more head space would of helped I guess............. +1 on the blow off tube but it should calm down in a day or two. (Should...) Also, read a bit on that yeast, turns out it's a super tough yeast capable of unstucking any fermentation... this may have attributed to your incident.

Not really shocking that 12 avocados, 3 lbs of honey, a quart of water, some fruit and whatever else didn't fit in a gallon jug. It's just too much volume for such a small container especially when you add yeast to the mix. The volume level must have been at the top of the jug, it probably needed to be in a vessel at least twice the size. With the blowoff and after racking off all the solids you might be lucky to get a half gal. Dare I ask if you took an og gravity for this monstrosity?

lol, maybe an avocado mash would of been a better bet. Or unsweetened avocado juice. What do y'all think?

A piece of tubing. Shove it into the bung where the airlock is now. Put other end of tubing into a glass of water, StarSan, vodka, etc.
Ok, I will try that if it starts acting up, its super thick at the moment. It'll get kinda clogged for around 5-10 min, then unclog and the air lock will bob at least once every second lol, its booming!
Not really shocking that 12 avocados, 3 lbs of honey, a quart of water, some fruit and whatever else didn't fit in a gallon jug. It's just too much volume for such a small container especially when you add yeast to the mix. The volume level must have been at the top of the jug, it probably needed to be in a vessel at least twice the size. With the blowoff and after racking off all the solids you might be lucky to get a half gal. Dare I ask if you took an og gravity for this monstrosity?

Yea, sadly I only have 1 gallon jugs.. I will get bigger containers next time lol. I didn't even fill it up to the neck though. I will be ok with getting half a gallon, it was kinda expensive but not crazy, only around $15. And sorry, no I didn't.

Back