what recipe to throw on top of wyeast british ale 1098 yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
tonight i'm going to be racking my ESB from my primary to my secondary carboy. i thought i would leave the yeastcake in the primary, and put a new brew on top of it to save money by not buying more yeast.

just curious of some other beers i can make that aren't too bitter, (an esb is about as bitter as i can enjoy) that i can just throw on top of the yeast cake.

any ideas? i like petes wicked ale, blonde ales, esb's, wheat beers like hefeweizens, etc. not too much into big IPA's or stouts.

i would prefer an all grain recipe, but extract is fine also. i'm just not sure what other types of beers would work well with this yeast strain.

thanks.
brian

I think just about anything English would work well with that yeast.
Pale Ale, Brown, Stout, Porter, Mild. Pretty big variety.
Craig

You can do almost anything with that yeast. It's fairly neutral, as English strains go.

I recently used it on a bitter and a hybrid English/American IPA. Both were excellent.

Also, there isn't much wort in the cake, so you really don't need to worry about the extra bittering.

Back