First AG brew today, 3rd brew ever. Need thoughts/help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boiled_ice

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing beer. I have made 2 batches (just kits) before today's batch. The recipe is an offshoot of a magic hat #9 clone:

Mash @ 150F Sparge @ 160F
.5 lbs 60 degree lovibond crystal malt
8.75 lbs 2-row pale malt
6 oz wheat malt

Beginning of boil
1/3 cup honey
4.8 HBU Tettnanger (bittering hop)

15 minutes before end of boil
1/4 oz Willamett @ 4.8 (flavor hop)
1/4 oz Cascade @ 7.5 (flavor hop)
1 tsp irish moss
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Yeast pitched:
California V WLP051

Wait 4-5 days to let fermentation slow, then add:
3oz Apricot extract

Let ferment a few more days, then add:
1.25 cups of light DME for priming.

This is the recipe I followed (the honey, ginger and nutmeg were afterthoughts to the brew; hence offshoot of the magic hat. However, I did not pick up the wheat malt the other day at my HBS, and when I realized this, I searched all over town today for wheat malt. Couldn't find any (sunday) so I ended up substituting 6 oz of UNmalted wheat (cracked grain) into the mash. I did a continuous mash in a converted cooler mash tun. However, I got to thinking that maybe the cracked unmalted grain would not give me the sugars I needed. So I added the 1/3 cup of honey to the boil for fermentation.

Now I have searched these forums for unmalted grain information and have found a cereal mash is something used to extract the sugars for fermenting unmalted grain. I have found that you can also make your own diastatic malt using unmalted grains, and I have also read that if you mash with a good amount of pale malt, you should be able to extract the sugars from the wheat anyways (which is what I did).

I am wondering:
Is there any truth to the claim that mashing with other malts will extract the fermentable sugars?

If not, what does that mean for my brew?

Do you you think the apricot extract will pair nicely with the honey? (Note: the wort is a very nice amber color taste is fairly sweet with notes of honey and finish is pretty bitter with a hint of honey afterwords)

Sorry for the long post, any suggestions/comments/information would be greatly appreciated!

Amylase comes from malted barley in the mashing process so it is a fact that mashing malted barley with grains will produce fermentable sugars

You may want to think about adding the honey at flameout instead of the beginning of the boil

Oh I see, I assumed that the longer I had the honey in the boil, the more flavor it would impart. Thanks for the tip!

your recipe says wheat malt. malted wheat can actually convert itself. but yes, malted barley does have enough enzymes to convert a percentage of adjuncts too. (not sure what the percentage is but i think its pretty high, seems like up to fifty percent of the grain bill)

Back