MLT Cooler Set Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBC

Reaction score
I am planning on going all grain after several extract and specialty grain brews. I am thinking of using a 10 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler for an MLT and a second one for HLT and found a couple of these coolers at Home Depot ($38 a piece!). However, I've read on a number of posts that these coolers warp either initially or over time. My questions are, how bad does it warp, does it effect the amount of volume in the MLT or HLT, how long can they be used before they need to be retired... I want to get a set up that will last a long time so I don't have to upgrade any time soon. Any advice out there?

mine bubbled a little the first time i poured strike water in it (Rubbermaid 10gallon); been fine since...

my guess is that it didn't affect more than a couple oz. of volume...

mine warped too, however as long as it didn't crack (mine didn't) I didn't worry about it. I haven't noticed any temperature stability issues.

Back