I need oak for my bung hole.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm using Jamil's Flanders Red recipe, and it calls for oak chips in the secondary, and also mentions the use of an oak peg. It doesn't really specify wether or not the oak should come in contact with the beer, but after looking at some pictures, I'm guessing that's the route I should take.

Tonight I fashioned a tight fitting oak stopper for my carboy, and because I'm using chips for flavor, I figured the oak bung would deliver the necessary O2 to the bugs. Do I really need something that will come in contact with the beer?

Kind of a doozy!

You will not get as much oxygen with the stopper since it will not be wet. Also, having the long chair leg or whatever lets the oxygen get past the pelicle which will help protect the bugs from the oxygen in the headspace.

You will not get as much oxygen with the stopper since it will not be wet. Also, having the long chair leg or whatever lets the oxygen get past the pelicle which will help protect the bugs from the oxygen in the headspace.

How does one sanitize a chair leg? Haha! I never thought I would ask that question!

How does one sanitize a chair leg?
Bake it in the oven.

That reminds me of another joke I heard...

How many abstract artists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? :drunk:

Sorry...couldn't resist.

cornholio.jpg

Have you talked to Evan? He's our resident dowel-in-bung expert :D

If not, see BM's message above.

Latest posts

Back