Wine taste to my Coopers Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaBushBrewer

Reaction score
tried my coopers irish stout after 10 days in the bottle, has a faint wine smell and taste, is this just a green beer taste or is something else going on?

10 days is way too early to be opened, let alone to be concerned about the flavor or smell. Give it at least 11 more days of bottle conditioning before being concerned.

Im curious what you mean by wine smell. I have heard this term quite often and am not sure what us meant by it. I have been working in the wine industry for a long time now thus my curiosity.

I'm guessing if you made the Coopers kit to their usual instructions (can plus 1 kg sugar) the reason is both young/green beer and the 1 kg of sugar giving it a cidery taste.

It could be sugar. It could also be a green apple type taste that you'll get in white wines. This is caused by acetaldehyde in the beer, often caused by racking off of the yeast too early (acetaldehyde is an intermediate step in the process of converting sugar to ethanol).

I'm not a wine drinker but, I believe it smells and tastes a little bit like merlot, a fermented fruit type taste

Back