Yet another homemade wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateG

Reaction score
Since I decided to get a turkey fryer and do full boils I needed a wort chiller too, so being cheap I made one. Just your basic run of the mill chiller, I did use a ridgid riser tube and used stainless steel safety wire to lash the coils to the riser to make it a little less floppy. The other nice thing about using the rigid riser is I was also able to spread the coils out a bit more and it looks like it should have pretty good coverage. In all I burned about $45 from my bank account.

WortChiller1.jpg

WortChiller2.jpg

WortChiller3.jpg

WortChiller4.jpg

WortChiller5.jpg

3/8" ID the rigid copper tubing is 1/2" I am going to take a Scotchbrite pad to the solder joints and do a vinegar/water soak on it before I use it. I should be getting a couple more beer kits this next week so next Saturday if I have time I will have to give this beast a try.

The wire ties are stainless steel safety/lock wire. I thought about soldering it all but since my torch is so hot and has such a big flame it makes it difficult to do such things and I couldn't remember where my pencil torch was. That and the wire is quick, easy and we have a bunch of it.

I like this concept, how'd it end up working for you? Thinking about doing something similar today, and am wondering about the wire lashings, did you stick with those or do something different? Seems like hop gunk would get stuck in there and it'd be tough to clean. If you're still reading this thread, can you update on what worked and any changes you've made?

I haven't made any changes to it actually, it works well. As for cleaning I just hose it down when I'm cleaning the boil pot and take a scrub brush when I am rinsing it off to use again. All in all I like it.

Nice, thanks for the update and glad it's working! I went ahead and built a similar chiller on Saturday, think I'll add the lashings since they aren't not causing you any trouble. I also added a wooden support to keep mine upright in the kettle (support rests on the edge of kettle).

IMG_0935 (Medium).jpg

Latest posts

Back