Left over mash grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Livestock feed (i have 3 chickens and they will eat about 20% of a 10 gallon batch's grain before it goes bad)
Compost (I give some to the worms, and the rest in the rotating composter from Costco)
I have had some great bread and crackers made from spent grain, but haven't done it myself yet. Reportedly great source of fiber.

Before I had the chicks and Compost, I would scatter the spent grain around the Iceplant. The trick is to get it spread out somewhere before it goes lactic. As long as it is spread out thin, with no anaerobic piles anywhere, it won't get stinky and will mulch/compost nicely. I put it in a trash bag for pickup exactly once.

I have made dog treats and spent grain bread before based off recipes on this site. The dog seems very excited on brew days now.

I use it along with second runnings for bread. The dogs love the dog treats, and they always look forward to a scoop straight out of the mash tun.

For those of you who make bread or cookies from spent grains, do the husks mellow out? I like to munch on the grains after mashing, but I always have to spit out the husks.

To answer the OP, I'm composting them all right now. Heap is currently a litte overwhelmed.

For those of you who make bread or cookies from spent grains, do the husks mellow out? I like to munch on the grains after mashing, but I always have to spit out the husks.

In my experience the husks stay as bad or get worse.

To answer the OP, I'm composting them all right now. Heap is currently a litte overwhelmed.
That's what I do. I've been thinking about dumping them in a pillowcase and throwing it in the dryer to dry and grind into flour. Once I get the chicken coop built that will be the preferred option.

in the spring time I always give my grains to friends that garden to mix into the soil. In return i get all the fresh veggies I can eat at the end of summer.

Back