60amp Power-in Relay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky

Reaction score
I have a question regarding finding a 60amp 240V, power-in relay to control my (designed system). Any suggestions??

- 60 amps, 240V power, single phase input
- This is the first relay, controlled by (basic) switch (1 NO Key Selector Switch 2 Position Maintained)
- I will be (down-line) controlling (2) 5500W elements (or more) and (2) pumps

I am trying to find a relay that will handle this methodology.
I can't find a 60 amp DPDT (or DPST), 240V, with 120V coil.
Not sure about wiring a definite purpose contactor.

Any help appreciated.

Use two 30A contactors, one for each element. The key switch can feed other switches that control each contactor coil.

Old lighting contactors or better yet a AC compressor relay will have the amperage capacity your looking for found on old equipment being demolished. This gets the price down to free. Only out of pocket would be a coil replacement, Honeywell AC units usually have 24 volt relay coils.

Here's a contactor rated 65amp, 3 pole (you can use the 3rd pole if you have a neutral line), with 120v coil.
Little pricey but things this size will be.

Thanks for all the input! I am basically building a more robust "Kal" electric brewing system and want to run both heating elements at the same time since I am doing back-to-back batches.

The 60amp relay would replace the 30amp power relay in this photo (power-in relay):
http://theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=7

I would still have (2) 30amp relays (with switches) controlling the heating elements.

I have a 200amp service with a 7.5kW (photovoltaic) solar system. Have not paid an electric bill in 5 years and have plenty reserve. Thus, the 60amp system is no problem. ;)

Just thinking about this... The first house I ever owned had 60 amp service. You're brewing system is going to use more power than my first house!:rockin:

if you haven't already you'll also want to put fuses on the feed to the 30A relays. Good luck.

Ohio-Ed is supplying me with the 60amp relay. The lower power stuff is fuse protected. I will be then going to (2) 30amp relays for the (2) 5500W heating elements, so will fuse protect those.

Which fuse setup are you going to use for the 30amp relays?

Looks like the Ebay one would work, but note the relay control. It is 12V. Depending upon your setup, you may have to run the control through a transformer for the 12V control.

Back