Secondary headspace!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsMcBrew

Reaction score
I've got a pumpkin ale I've had in primary for about 30 days, it's basically done fermenting, and I wanted to rack to secondary for a week or two to get it off the trub, and clarify it a bit. The problem is the only thing I have for a secondary is a 5 1/2 gallon bucket, and there is about a gallon and a half of trub in the bottom of my carboy. I'm worried the excess headspace will oxidize the beer.
Input?

The headspace won't hurt your beer. Just make sure you are careful not to splash it around when transferring to the secondary, which would oxidize it. The benefits of doing a secondary fermentation outweigh any drawbacks you may encounter by having some extra room in there.

Hope it turns out well.

This question has been on the forum a few times in the last while; general response seems to be your beer has more than enough CO2 present to stave off any threat of oxidation from excessive headspace.

Back