hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elderbrewer

Reaction score
I just purchased some EKG hops in pellet form. The recipe called for leaf, but the store was out of them. What adjustment should I make for the additioins. The store owner said just boil them 45 min instead of 60. That doesn't aound right to me. Any one have experience with this? Thank you

yeah that dont sound right! youll get a bit more bitterness out of pellets but its probably negligable...whats the ibu's supposed to be?, and what are the aau's of the hops?, and what volume boil are you doing at what gravity?

answer that and well be able to adjust the schedule (if at all)

is that to say that all the recipes i read here and elswhere use weights of hops in terms of whole hops (of course unless otherwise noted)?

inkbob said:
is that to say that all the recipes i read here and elswhere use weights of hops in terms of whole hops (of course unless otherwise noted)?

Unfortunately, life is not that simple. Actually, when in doubt, I would probably assume the opposite: that a recipe that doesn't otherwise specify is calling for pellet hops.

Papazian's recipe's assume whole hops. I usually just substitute pellets (if I'm using pellets) ounce-for-ounce in his recipes because I think he's a little conservative with the hops in many of his recipes.

You can also use the beer recipator or commercial software and check the IBUs with pellet or whole and see which seems like a better target.

Back