Has anyone seen these videos??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblankenship11

Reaction score
I'm guessing no based on the view count. But this reminded me of the "TakeSomeAdvice" videos a bit... Rather than being psychotic about sanitation this guy just makes me smack my head and say, doh!! :smack:

Wiping things down with plain paper towels, rinsing sanitized equipment with tap water, racking with no mention of gravity readings. I don't really want to troll him, but man, I'd rather not new homebrewers took this advice...

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your concern but lets be honest, beer was made during the dark ages when sanitation was not even a concept. Yes the beer was different than what we know it as but it was still wort, fermentation and drink all the same.

Although I am careful about my sanitation I think people put far too much paranoia into the process at times.

I got a minute or two in and shook my head. It's aerate not oxidize and he wasn't even doing that.

rinsing sanitized equipment with tap water, racking with no mention of gravity readings.

What's the problem here?

I do these things, end up with great beer, cider & wine. Don't want sanitizer in my beverages, and once it's done fermenting it's done and gravity readings wont change the attenuation. So I often skip taking an FG.

He's a little more cavalier than I am on the whole, but it works for him.

My qualm is that if he's brewing a hefe and using a hefe yeast, he better rig a blowoff on that thing!

I often rinse sanitised gear with tap water, and never had an infected beer!

I think it's too easy to get paranoid, it's a forgiving process

To my shame I also take fewer gravity readings that I should

This guy is good entertainment. I watched a few more of his vids. My favorite part so far is when he's measuring out sugar for bottles and says "now this bottle is a little bigger so I'll use a heaping teaspoon instead of a teaspoon. It's not an exact science"

Beer is a lot more forgiving than many think it is. I have fished fruit flies out, house flies, gnats, mosquitoes, spiders... all part of the fun and joy of brewing outdoors. Not to mention all the dust and wild yeasts blowing in on the wind as I fill fermenters...

Back