biscuit + munich in an APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrrseio

Reaction score
trying to develop a pale ale recipe and wonder about how these grains will work together.

i'm going for a more complex, maltier taste and am still determining which hop i'll use, but what do you all think of:

9.25 lb 2-row
2.125 munich
.875 biscuit

anyone prefer victory to biscuit? i see that they're similar but have never used either and am just using malt profiles to design this.

That will lead to a different flavor profile than you're seeking in an APA. Back out the Munich, and add in a smaller amount of Crystal malt.

I prefer Victory, but that's a preference of my palate, and there are others that prefer biscuit.

I say keep it as is & brew it. Some special roast may add something extra as it's like victory or biscuit on steroids. Otherwise that looks like a promising start to a good beer.

8-10# 2-row and 2# munich is a pretty solid base.

The biscuit can add some character. It may get pretty dry though, without any crystal malts, wheat, etc in it. Mash high and i'm sure it'll be great!

glad to get some different opinions!

here is what i am looking at right now

80% pale 9.75lb
13% munich 1.625lb
4% C40 7oz
3% biscuit 5oz

going to split the eventual volume into thirds and do an oz of a different hop for each, one pellet at a time.

i'm trying to get a sense of different grains and hops and this kind of experimentation really speeds up the learning.

I'd bump the Biscuit to 1/2#, just to make sure it gives you the soft breadiness that it's there for.

thanks!

what about the crystal? amount look ok? does this many malts risk becoming a mess of indistinguishable flavors in an american pale?

the three hops i plan to use (one for each third of the batch) are ahtanum, amarillo and simcoe. i'll try each on its own and also pour them together to see how the hops taste together.

I dont know if it'll be a mess of flavors, but i think if you mash at 154 or so, you wouldnt really need it.

i'm doing a similar idea with munich this weekend. i'm shooting for an IPA, but it might get pretty malty in there even with the 55 IBUs and lots of 0 minute additions. i'm using super galena, admiral and calypso hops. all of which i have 0 experience with. recipe is:

Vienna 66%
Munich 30%
Crystal 20L 3%
Special b 1%

the one good thing about beer is that it's very forgiving :)

Latest posts

Back