Guinness Keg - Tri-clover fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking to use a Guinness Keg as pressurized fermenter.

Will a 2" tri clover fitting/clamp work on a Euro Guinness keg, like an american style keg does?
Is the outside lip of the bung the same size and an american? or close enough to use a 2" clamp?

thanks Kevin

If any one has a Guinness keg and can measure the diameter of the bung / coupler diameter I would appreciate it.

thanks Kevin

If any one has a Guinness keg and can measure the diameter of the bung / coupler diameter I would appreciate it.

thanks Kevin

I have a couple emptys out in backyard bar I haven't returned yet, I will go out and measure in a bit. I do know they are larger than a standard sanke. Maybe 2.5 but will confirm.

Outside diameter of standard sanke lip 2-1/2"
Outside diameter of Guinness connector lip 2-7/8"

Also inside hole diameter of Guinness keg is smaller, so if you are planning to add thermowell or dip tub you will have less space to work with.

Outside diameter of standard sanke lip 2-1/2"
Outside diameter of Guinness connector lip 2-7/8"

Also inside hole diameter of Guinness keg is smaller, so if you are planning to add thermowell or dip tub you will have less space to work with.

thanks so much Zazabnf !!!
But now I am more confused....

http://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-Clover-Fittings/
They say a 2" tri clover will fit to a Sanke....do the Tri Clover sizes refer to the inside dimension not outside?

Regardless -
I guess my original question should be, what size, if any, tri clover fitting will seal up a Guinness keg?

thanks again
Kevin

Found this information at

http://www.stpats.com/index.htm

How to Determine TriClamp Size
TriClamp Size is determined by the outside diameter of the pipe, NOT the outside diameter of the ferrule. The ferrule ( the end piece that makes half of the connection to another TC fitting) is about 1/2" larger than the TC size. In other words, a 1.5" TC fitting will have a ferrule whose outside diameter is about 2". Confusion arises with 1" TC fittings because they use the same ferrule as 1.5" TC fittings. [The two ferrules at right in photo are 1.5" and 1" Triclamp.]

They also have a chart of sizes on that page. looks like 2.5" would be your best bet the lip on the Guinness keg is really wide compared to standard sanke.

Just curious to know if anyone with first hand knowledge can chime in on the triclamp size for a Guinness keg? Is it in fact 2.5"?

Thanks.

The Guiness lip does not mate up to any tri-clover fittings.
This keg is in between sizes and tri clover fittings wont work with these kegs.

thanks Kevin

Back