What is the specific gravity of Cocoa Powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badducky

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm loading up some recipes into iBrewMaster, and needed to add Cocoa Powder as an ingredient. Anyone know the SG and SRM of Cocoa Powder?

Is there a good on-line resource where I can go look up some of this more technical stuff for next time so I don't have to scour the internet with my limited google-fu?

I could be completely wrong here, but if it is unsweetened, I don't think there would be any fermentables in it (and if there are, I doubt there are enough make a significant contribution to the ABV). I don't know of a good way to determine its contribution to color, though. A good source for looking up most grains/adjuncts/flavoring agents (although I couldn't find cocoa powder) is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Beer_ingredients.

There should still be a specific gravity, though, right? It impacts the OG and FG of the beer and can throw off my measurements if I use it and forget I don't have that information.

Thanks for the link!

Yes that's right...what you could do is take a hydrometer reading of your mash and sparge runnings before you boil. Then when you chill the wort, take another reading since the cocoa powder will be in there. Then take the difference of the two. If I am right about it not really containing fermentables, you can just add that difference to your target FG, and take it into consideration when calculating ABV.

Cocoa doesn't actually dissolve, so I don't know that it would affect your gravity more than hops or yeast, which is to say a negligible amount.

Back