Promoting home brewing in Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9Frogs

Reaction score
Okay, I need some input. Obviously, some of the greatest minds of homebrewing are gathered here, because of the volumes I have learned by lurking around the discussions! I have been brewing for a little while, and this summer, my wife and I are hosting a party. Cookout, music, and at least 3 different brews on tap. My LHBS has offered to provide ingredients, and the owner is coming over to provide a demonstration of the brewing process. He gets some business, hopefully, by interesting people in brewing. I get at least 5 gallons of free beer. I am wondering what to serve. Keep in mind, I am trying to appeal to the broadest section of people, and hopefully promote how good home brewed beer is. I have gone over the ideas in my head, but I want your ideas. So far, some of the possibilities are: Biermunchers Summer Blonde, a Spotted Cow clone (Hey, it's Wisconsin!), a hefe (what I drink in the summer), possibly a belgian wit (with fruit???).... I don't know, the possibilities are endless. What does the community think?

my choice's for that would be: cream ale or american wheat, easy to drink for almost any beer lover. american pale ale, a classic. and maybe a saison or a heffe (if you don't do wheat) for a li'l seasonal flair. just what i'd do, there's tons of great ways to present beer for all palates to enjoy.

Tap 1: Kolsh
Tap 2: IPA - Lighter PTE clone
Tap 3: Skeeter Pee

The reason I say these is because:

Kolsh - Yellow fizzy and different. I think everyone in WI has had Yellow fizzy to death. This gives them something familiar without it being normal.

IPA - I have had any PTE hopped IPA turn out great and has been well received. I would bump the base malt down a little as it is summertime and you don't want to heavy of a beer.

Skeeter Pee - You are demoing Home Brewing, not just beer. I can not think of any better summertime wine than SP. Carbed is even better.

Like Zamial said...you are going to demonstrate brewing, so the beer, itself, is really secondary. Offer something that most folk would like, but also offer something quite different. That will show folks that not all brews are alike.

glenn514:mug:

My recommendation is a Spotted Cow clone. Most beer drinkers in WI know what it is and since it's a cream ale style, will appeal to the most people. Whenever I'm brewing for a party, that's one I make sure is in the lineup.

My 2 cents,
Jaz

Okay, I need some input. Obviously, some of the greatest minds of homebrewing are gathered here, because of the volumes I have learned by lurking around the discussions! I have been brewing for a little while, and this summer, my wife and I are hosting a party. Cookout, music, and at least 3 different brews on tap. My LHBS has offered to provide ingredients, and the owner is coming over to provide a demonstration of the brewing process. He gets some business, hopefully, by interesting people in brewing. I get at least 5 gallons of free beer. I am wondering what to serve. Keep in mind, I am trying to appeal to the broadest section of people, and hopefully promote how good home brewed beer is. I have gone over the ideas in my head, but I want your ideas. So far, some of the possibilities are: Biermunchers Summer Blonde, a Spotted Cow clone (Hey, it's Wisconsin!), a hefe (what I drink in the summer), possibly a belgian wit (with fruit???).... I don't know, the possibilities are endless. What does the community think?

I vote for the American Pale Ale. Such ales seem to do well at demonstrating that a homebrew can be different without being off-the-wall. It can be richer than Miller Lite but not excessive.

The reason I'm guessing this would work to pique interest in homebrewing is because it appeals to a broad audience. The guy who might be interested in pushing the limits on taste might try it and decide that it has potential. The guy who is not so adventurous on taste might decide this offers him the best control. They're also extremely easy to brew.

Back