Cold Crashing an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
I've never cold crashed before but want to experiment with making clearer beers. I've searched and read differing opinions on the duration of cold crashing. So how long should I do it, 24 hrs, 48, a week?

Also, I read where someone said the cold crashing will take some hop bitterness from the beer. Seeing I'm crashing an IPA I really don't want that. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I cold crash whenever I can and add isenglass as well. I started doing both of those when the kegging system got set up and I've had wonderfully clear beers.

Not sure about the bitterness issue. I normally cold crash for a couple days. If you go longer, then maybe you'd have less yeast in your end product when kegging/force carb'ing with CO2. When bottle conditioning, the yeast seems to continue growing in the bottles, so I feel it's kind of a moot point.

I also use irish moss in the boil and gelatin at or around the same time as cold crashing, and get wonderfully clear beers myself. I use one clear bottle per batch (like Corona) to gauge/test my clarity. The clear bottle works well because you don't have to pour it out/risk disturbing the yeast on the bottom. This is also the first beer I drink. :)

I cold crash/secondary all at the same time really. Once I move to secondary, I'll let it sit a few days, or a week, and let anymore clean up take place that is to be done, and then I plop it in the keezer. 39* and it'll clear up within a few days. Also doubles that I can carb it faster and easier when it's cold. Rack it over cold to the keg and it's ready to be put in line.

+1 for cold crashing. Usually for a couple days depending on my schedule. No hop reduction noticed.

I cold crash as well. Generally every beer that I make I will cold crash for at least 48 hours, if not 72, then either rack to secondary (for clarification or fruit or dry hopping or whatever) or keg. If I rack to secondary, I will run another cold crash. My beers have been much clearer as a result. I've cold crashed a couple of IPAs and not noticed any dropoff in bitterness.

I use irish moss, but it just hasn't seemed to really do much, maybe a little clearer at best. We'll see how crashing works.

I always try to use whirlfloc in my brews (same result as irish moss) and it doesn't do enough on its own. I find that cold crashing really makes a difference, especially since it reduces the amount of trub that I pick up when racking so I'm less likely to clog my keg dip tube.

I used Irish moss, but doing two 5 gal brews one with one without I found no difference. Last summer I dumped the moss out in the compost and the brews remain the same (real good)clear is a result of technique and not a additive

I used Irish moss, but doing two 5 gal brews one with one without I found no difference. Last summer I dumped the moss out in the compost and the brews remain the same (real good)clear is a result of technique and not a additive

As I'm learning.

Back