20 gal Brew Day - Pics and Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
I regularly brew with a couple of friends, and we split the spoils of our labor. Sat we brewed up two 10 gal batches (hefeweizen and dunkelweizen). One of the guys has his brew stand about 75% done, so right now we only have one stand to work with. We pipelined both batches on my stand, which really only adds about 1.5 hrs to the day, because we can mash the 2nd batch while the first batch is boiling.

It had rained about 9 inches over the two days prior and stopped raining right before we were going to get started. Normally we brew outside on the patio, but we played it safe in the garage so we didn't have to move things later in case it started raining again.

I took some video of the process we use. It's not really intended to be a "how to brew" kind of video. It just gives an idea about my system and how I use it. Forgive the quality (of the video and narrarator).

Last edited by a moderator:
Making me hungry for our crawfish boil this weekend. I also noticed the lack of beer being drank in the pics. Other than that, very nice.

I see beer in every pic as well, I also see kids hanging out with dad's so that may be a reason for non-excessive drinking. Looks like a good day with your friends and father/son time.

Good point, IP. Our group is a pretty responsible bunch. We like to drink beer, but nobody's getting drunk, especially when the women aren't around to help with the squids (they were all gone together this weekend).

I'm not a crawfish aficionado, but you add cajun seasoning, salt, whole garlic, potatoes, corn, etc. You've got to clean the little bugs good before you boil them, too. They're usually pretty nasty when you get them. Peel and eat the tail like a shrimp, and suck the guts out of the head. It's a fun time.

I personally don't care to suck the head, but I guess real crawfish eaters do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6u2y-RS2I]YouTube - Eating crawfish the quick method.[/ame]

yeah im in upstate NY and I dont think we have em here either... Its def a southern thing. I like shrimp and lobster and wanted to try crawfish until you said suck the guts out of their head lol

Maybe it's not the guts, maybe it's their brains, and we have a bunch of wannabe cajun zombies down here. At any rate, I'll leave the head sucking (hehe, I said head sucking) for the crawfish connoisseur, if that term even applies. :D

IMO, It's not any more disgusting than sucking down a slimy, nasty, snotty oyster. Eeeew!

Two great things in one crawfish boil, and brew. Looks fun. I agree about sucking their brains out of their heads. I will just eat them, and leave that part to others.

I call 'em trashfish because you throw most of the dang thing away!

But nothing beats the taste. I love grabbing pieces of garlic from the boil. That stuff is g-e-w-d. And the occasional "mini-lobster" that has claws you can eat.

The fact that he said suck the "guts" out of the head was the kicker... cuz you know he means brains... and you just picture a backwoods dude being like "ya pull the head right off and just a suck the guts right out the sumbitch"

You guys are a bunch of sissy La La's. Sounds nasty at first but it aint no thang, all the work to get the tail off you might as well get a little more from the brains.

Latest posts

Back