Questions about appropriate parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikethetrees

Reaction score
I'm completely new to electric brewing, and am putting together a parts list for an electric brewing setup (Sorry if my questions here are terribly ignorant.)

I am interested in this P-J diagram:

http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Auberin-wiring1-a4-4500w-30a.jpg

What kind of fuse block or panel should I buy?

Will I absolutely need a heat sink for the contactors P-J recommends in this drawing?

What are the recommended formats for the various plugs and receptacles? I want to be as safe as possible, without spending a fortune on something exotic. Part numbers or links would be helpful, as there seem to be many types/shapes of plugs and receptacles for the various applications in the diagram.

Thanks!

For example, I started digging around for 4-wire 30 amp twist-lock plugs and there are a lot to choose from. I'm looking at this list as an example of the myriad choices of plugs and receptacles: http://www.mcmaster.com/#nema-style-connectors/=eelfjz

Totally confusing. The ones considered 'watertight' are WAY more expensive. Is the outlay worth it? Some other brand that would get the job done for <$25/component or so without risking life and limb?

Yes its a great site. Has helped a lot of people out. Kal is an e-god! :) And yes you will need a heat-sink, not for the contractors but for the ssr's, they put out a lot of heat. But as for your contractors, don't go with the crap ones on ebay. Stick with a name brand, I think I have a several left over for my e-build. I'll look when I get home. They are quality Allen-bradley, and if I do have a few Id be willing to part with them cheap to save you a few bucks.

Unfortunately I wasn't turned on to the site until after I had all needed parts for my build. It would have saved a lot of time and headache. But Kal was an inspiration on my overall panel lay-out.

2011-10-01 18.05.53.jpg

Yeah, it's great stuff! I'll be putting together something a lot simpler than his or your set up, but the major components are similar. Super helpful! He really breaks it down.

Very helpful indeed! If you need any components at a discount price let me know. I have a bunch left over from my builds.

Back