Two Hearted Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chudz

Reaction score
I wanted to try this and bought a sixer from my usual liquor store. Ugh! It had a total nail polish remover smell and taste to it. I opened up a second bottle and same as the first. So I'm going to see about getting my money back. I've never tried returning beer before, so this should prove interesting.

Anyway, how good is this normally?

well personally i believe it's like drinking beer out of a perfume bottle. way to much floral flavor and aroma from the centennial hops combo

I personally love Two Hearted, it's probably my favorite IPA. I've got a thing for all centennial IPAs, and it certainly doesn't disappoint; very fragrant, floral, super hoppy flavor with a strong malt back bone... mmmm.

On a side note, Bell's takes great pride in their quality control. Their website has (or at least had) a contact to their QC department and I'm sure they would appreciate the batch number that is in question, and maybe even the name of the store that stocked a supposed bad batch/six pack.

I'm not a big IPA guy, but Two Hearted is my favorite example of the style. I just tried it for the first time a week or so ago.

That's my "everyday" beer. Just like my dad used to come home from work and grab a PBR, I grab a Two Hearted. Even if I have something good on tap, I'll often drink a Two Hearted while I make dinner.

I like the flavor and aroma and it seems to have the right amount of bitterness so that it's not over the top and I think it's a pretty easy drinker.

+1 for one of my fav beers, sucks you somehow got a rotten sixer

I'm not entirely convinced that this is a rotten sixer. This beer has a HUGE floral hop aroma. Some people find it perfumy. My buddy Boston is a major hop-head and he doesn't even like 2-hearted all that much.

This beer just might not be right for you.

Well after some back and forth, I was able to return the six pack I had bought. To me, at least, there was a solvent-like taste and smell to the beer. It even left my tongue tingling to a degree. But if there really wasn't anything wrong with it, then I reckon it's just not for my palate. Since there were only a few six packs of it in the store, I chickened out on getting a replacement and went with something else. So if I see a single bottle for sale in the future, I may grab it to compare.

P.S. hoplobster: That's a good idea about contacting the company's QC department. I'll keep it in mind and jot down the needed information if this ever happens again.

Chudz, if you have any of the bottles left over, there is a batch number printed on the label. You can plug that number into Bell's website (http://www.bellsbeer.com/home) and it will tell you the date it was brewed. It's possible that you stumbled across a very old sixer; Two-hearted is best when it's fresh and like all hoppy beers, can make a turn for the nasty with too much age.

It is possible that is was very old, or a bad batch. I have hada few of these in singles that were getting up there in age, and still found them to be very good, in the top 5 of that style. BUT I did have one, actually gave it to someone, saying that this was a very good beer. Got a you must be kidding look back, and when I tasted it, there was a varnish/very strong green apple smell and a sour/rip your tounge out bitter taste.

Back