Bombers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
I am collecting bottles for my first batch of home brew. Some that I haven't returned and some that my local packy owner is saving for me. They are all bombers. The problem I am having is with the ones I'm getting from the local packy. Many of them have lots of mold in the bottom and they are hard to clean. I am using a bottle brush from a five gallon home brew kit and dish soap. All bottles are dark and it is hard to see if I got everything out. Does anyone have any suggestions on better cleaning methods and how to keep them from collecting mold prior to bottling. I know I have to sanitize them before bottling but I don't want to have to clean them all again.

1) avoid soaps and detergents in bottle cleaning. Use something like PBW or oxyclean free. It kills he beer head.
2) mold I conquer by shaking a small amount of scalding water in the bottle. Then use a bottle brush to help. This still won't help get all the mold so I soak in buckets with oxyclean free for a say (this also helps remove labels and glue).
3) then I wash in the dishwasher (no soap, also no jet dry!) and sanitize with the heat cycle.

In the future, much of these steps won't be necessary...a quick clean with oxyclean and sanitize with star San.

In the future, to help with mold, wash your bottles immediately after pouring. Takes 10 seconds and saves a lot of time in the longrun.

Thanks for the input. I will definitely be going to get some oxy clean. Can I wash before bottling day and then just sanitize, or should I wash now and then soak in oxy clean and sanitize on bottling day?

Back