Soapy flavor due to water or trub? How to fix.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbGator

Reaction score
So I brewed over a friends house, he bought a brand new house, and we used the water from the hose from an outside spigot. Now I live in Columbus, OH and have never had problems with the water from my beer, I also get it from the tap. I lived in Cleveland, OH and brewed before and never had problems, but also got the water from the tap, not outside spigot. We brewed the Haus pale ale you can find in the recipe section and it has a very intense soapy flavor to it. I've read the other posts about this issue and see that for me it is one of two things, either bad water, or trub. Since we did a 10 gallon batch and split it, I filled my fermentor first and essentially inherited all the trub because he did not have a strainer. This beer fermented for around 4 days and then I had to drive it home, 120 miles, in the middle of fermentation, but that didn't seem to be a problem, it continued fermeting. Now I'm waiting on him to try his so that I can rule out the trub issue and get down to adjusting the chemicals in the water if possible at this point, or is it at the point of no return? All the other threads identify the issue, but I could not find one that dealt with fixing the issue? Is it possible? I'm open for suggestions.

Edit: More Information

It was brewed on Dec. 28th, and I left it in the primary until Jan. 16th were I moved it to keg for cold crash and carbonation. Fermentaion temps were 66 degrees. I know it sat on all that trub so it's still hard to rule that out right now. Friend said he will try it tonight and give me a taste update. If his doesn't taste like soap, its most likely the trub issue, if it does, its most likely a water issue.

Some off flavors will fade with time, but I don't think the soapy flavor is one of them. I don't think there is anything you can do short of mixing it with another brew to dilute the flavor, but maybe cutting your losses is preferable.

Adding minerals to water post-active-fermentation can change the flavor of a final product, but one of its important purposes is to aid in yeast health. I'm not sure if adding minerals now would help much.

So here is a new idea, lets figure out how to make soap out of beer. Lol instead of dumping it, which is what is probably going to happen, lets make beer scented soap. Sorry I'm trying to come to a conclusion about what to do if this situation happens to others. I guess their are only two options right now, wait even though I think we know what the outcome will be, or just dump now and save the gas.

Trub? I ferment with trub in the primary all the time. IME your probably getting some chemical taste from that garden hose.

Many of us have been leaving our beers on the yeast in primary for a month, for years.....Ideas about off flavors from the yeast have gone away. So I would look elsewhere for your issues. In fact I would challenge you to consider leaving your beer alone for a month and you might find that your off flavors are actually eliminated.

But you need to be looking elsewhere for your problem.

How soapy are we talking here? Slightly off or undrinkable?

Could be from the garden hose. Garden hoses have all sorts of nasty chemicals in them that can react with the beer.

OR

Sometimes hops can taste kinda soapy. Perhaps you need some gypsum to punch up those hops.

BUT

I really doubt it's the trub.

Wait, you used water from his spigot outside, through a garden hose?

if so, garden hoses are not meant for potable water. You need a white R/V hose for doing this.

Like I said,this is not my usual routine. I brew every other weekend and I love the beers I produce. I went to a friends house and kinda like your house your rules. I have never had to dump a batch. It's not the hops, and im pretty sure its not the trub, mines sat on trub just like yours, I'm pretty (almost 99.9%) sure that this is a water issue at this point, or the hose. I think I've learned a lesson, no garden hose.

Revvy, I've read many of you comments and know you are well respected here in the community. I will let the beer set for as long as I can hold out and by that I mean probably 2 weeks until the the next batch needs to be carbed. I only have two gas lines.

If you have more than two corny's you can pull it off the gas and let it sit. There is nothing wrong with doing that. +1 to letting it sit.

If you don't have an extra it is a great excuse to get one!

Lead is common in garden hoses, especially the cheap, non-rubber ones. I would personally refrain from using them

most garden hoses are impregnated with anti-fungal (and other) treatments to slow rot. Definitely not desirable for beer production.

Update: I talked with my friend and got confirmation that his tastes like soap as well. I'm pretty much chalking this one up as a lost cause. Leaner a good lesson from this. I'm gonna leave it in the keg until I have to force it out to carb a different beer. I'll keep you posted.

I support all the opinions that the cause of your problem is the garden hose. It seems so simple, but it has a huge effect on the taste of your brewing water. I have been going to my buddy's house to brew for about two years, and we always use a RV hose on the outside spigot. Every now and then, our schedules do not allow us to brew together, so I had made a few batches at home. Those batches always came out terrible. I was using the same process, but got completely different results. It hit me that all of those terrible batches had water carried through my garden hose. I bought food grade tubing (and later added a carbon filter) and the off flavors at home completely dissappeared.

Joe

Back