What do people do with their beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yettiman

Reaction score
Sounds silly, but some of the chaps here have really serious set ups, I was just wondering what happens to all that beer.

5 gallons = 40 pints = 2 pints a night for 1 month

No way some of these sets up are only used 12 times a year,

Apart from getting on the good side of the neighbors with copious parties just curious what happens to all that ale.

Share, share and more sharing. :)

When you make copious amounts of delicious beer, it's never hard to get rid of it. Of course, I always reserve my portion.

Besides, it's good to have some feedback.

It's those nights where you have 12 pints that really help. I always seem to find an infected bottle though, because for some reason I almost never feel good the next morning.

A lot of the batches I have made this year have gone to events.

3 batches to a local brewerys competition.
4 batches to local beer festival events that allow us homebrewers.

So out of the 14 5 gallon batches I made this last year....nearly 50% were consumed by others.

I either need to brew more..or stop brewing for events lol.

I keg and bottle alike. Swmbo and I split time between our house in the burbs and our cabin at the local ski resort. So at the house I have a full 3tier setup, 4 tap bar in the garage, and a full fridge. My house is where our co workers and friends go to watch baseball, shoot pool, play darts. You would be surprised how fast a couple of cases or kegs disappear when you have 6 or more casual drinkers over a few nights a week.

Here I only bottle, and my brew gear is the gear I have retired from ny home brewery. I usually keep a case, and gift the 2nd. I brew a few times a month. We have been at the cabin since November and I'm on my 6th batch. Being at a resort is nice if it's a nice day out (above 0 and not windy) I will fire up the grill, throw some logs in the fire pit and have some friends over for a weekend to ski and bbq, or strangers will just smell the food from the slopes and stop by with a 6er to enjoy good food and company. I think the idea for a lot of us on the forums is to keep the pipeline full. Out of the 6 batches I've brewed here so far only a few bottles will be drank this year. The rest will sit in the fridge or basement until next year or this summer when we visit for some mt biking. I only buy beer when we go out to eat. My friends all buy ingredients for me, and many of them help brew. It's a social hobby.

I drink it, along with my wife and friends. What else would you do with it? It's made for drinking.

I have 4 houses with 4 wives so I drink so I can deal with the stress of it all and keep my stories straight.

But seriously once my 1gal setup is online I will be giving a majority of it away to friends and neighbors. I drink maybe 2 or 3 a week at most and am brewing at home because I don't like cheap beer and to improve my skill in the art of brewing so that I will have a better recipe to provide the customers at work.

Sounds silly, but some of the chaps here have really serious set ups, I was just wondering what happens to all that beer.

5 gallons = 40 pints = 2 pints a night for 1 month

No way some of these sets up are only used 12 times a year,

Apart from getting on the good side of the neighbors with copious parties just curious what happens to all that ale.

I'm definitely on the low end for many of the brewers here (at maybe 17-20 5-gal batches a year), but I consider that pretty active. But we have four of-age adults in my house, so between us I'd say we easily put down 10-15 pints a week on average (the two ladies tend to prefer wine on most nights). So a 5 gal batch every three weeks, with an extra tossed in every so often to keep the pipeline full, is about our speed. If I was brewing just for my wife and me it would be more like once a month.

I'm definitely on the low end for many of the brewers here (at maybe 17-20 5-gal batches a year), but I consider that pretty active. But we have four of-age adults in my house, so between us I'd say we easily put down 10-15 pints a week on average (the two ladies tend to prefer wine on most nights). So a 5 gal batch every three weeks, with an extra tossed in every so often to keep the pipeline full, is about our speed. If I was brewing just for my wife and me it would be more like once a month.

I'm in about the same boat. I usually end up about 100 gallons a year, give or take a few batches. Difference is that my wife doesn't drink beer (or at least very very rarely), so it's predominantly just me drinking it. If I stopped buying commercial beer I'd probably mow through it faster, but I usually have a backlog. Good problem to have, I suppose.

54 beers / 3 beers a night = 18 days / 30 days in a month = 1.66 a month = 20 batches a year.

That's if I don't share and I get 54 out of each batch :)

I'm in about the same boat. I usually end up about 100 gallons a year, give or take a few batches. Difference is that my wife doesn't drink beer (or at least very very rarely), so it's predominantly just me drinking it. If I stopped buying commercial beer I'd probably mow through it faster, but I usually have a backlog. Good problem to have, I suppose.

Yeah, I pretty much stopped buying commercial for the most part. Not that I'm above it, but I just enjoy my own stuff and the more I drink it the more I can make! Always thinking about that next recipe...

I can't be the only one who brews a batch only to dump it?? I've never tasted my beer...it's brew, dump, repeat...

Are you trolling or thats really what you do?

Without tasting the finished product how do you even know you are doing it properly?

Well, to start, can we all agree that the average month is 30 days, not 20? If so, you'll find that it's really not that difficult to drink 5 gallons of beer in a month. 1 pint a night, then pick two Saturdays to drink 5 and bingo, 5 gallons gone. I would say if you average out the month, I'm drinking at least a beer a night. Add to that friends who like beer and it's down right amazing how fast beer can go in a month. Hell, one day of college football and 6 guys who like to drink beer and their wives pretty much wiped my pipeline down to a trickle in one day.

then again, that's the second best part, when one beer is gone, all you have to do is brew another one.

Well, to start, can we all agree that the average month is 30 days, not 20? If so, you'll find that it's really not that difficult to drink 5 gallons of beer in a month. 1 pint a night, then pick two Saturdays to drink 5 and bingo, 5 gallons gone. I would say if you average out the month, I'm drinking at least a beer a night. Add to that friends who like beer and it's down right amazing how fast beer can go in a month. Hell, one day of college football and 6 guys who like to drink beer and their wives pretty much wiped my pipeline down to a trickle in one day.

then again, that's the second best part, when one beer is gone, all you have to do is brew another one.

It's true, but for me I don't strictly drink homebrew. I might average a drink or two a night, but I'd say it's 70% homebrews and ciders, 15% cocktails (we mix a lot of drinks at my house), 5-10% scotch or bourbon, neat. So I only average maybe 5-7 12 oz'ers a week. But between all four of us in the house we put down a good batch of homebrew in something like two weeks. If I make a batch the others don't like (for example, a weizendoppelbock I recently brewed, which I loved but wasn't everyone's cuppa), I'll drink through it in a month or six weeks.

I hook up my kegs to a shower head and shower in the stuff. You have to be careful not to over-carbonate (no more than 2.1 volumes), or else it's just not a good experience.

I think over-carbing it works in your favor. It's like those 'scrubbing bubbles'. It gets you even cleaner.

sb.jpg

How many beers a day? pfft Screw that. I am going to maybe have 1 pint every 2-3 days until the weekend day arrives when I get to cash in all my saved pints.

:mug:

I would call myself a failure if I can't keep 14 kegs full. Beer gets better with age. And my buddies like free beer. I just appointed one to the Director of product consumption because he drinks the most. But he is always there to clean the mash tun.

Back