Doubling a BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
My brew pot is more thn big enough to double a BIAB recipe. Would it be as easy as doubling the water and ingredients, pitching yeast in one large pot and dividing equally into two fermenters? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Yep, you guessed it, I'm new to homebrewing lol

Pretty much that easy; you might lose a little efficiency with a larger grain bill, so hitting your expected OG may be a bit tougher, but proabably not much of a problem.

Cool wort. Fill 2 fermenters. Pitch yeast into both.

The issue is that the evaporation should be about the same, so doubling the total water will actually mean doubling the evaporation estimate, which is not right.

So you should double the water less the evaporation, and then add water to counteract evaporation.

Assuming you do full volume BIAB.

Not perfectly doubling the water while doubling the grain bill will mean a slight increased loss of efficiency due to the grain absorption being at a slightly higher gravity.

So, you could counteract that... possibly try to work it out... or you could just add a bit more grain.

Back