dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
If I add dme to my beer do i need to boil it?? i see on you tube guys just adding hot water and mixing everything together adding yeast and they are done.

Personally, I boil it for at least a few minutes. I feel a bit safer from contamination/infection when things are boiled. Are you talking about for a starter or for beer? If it is for a starter, the nice thing about boiling it within the container (such as a flask) is that you can sanitize both the liquid and the container at the same time and just put some foil on top (no star-san needed!).

Assuming you are adding it to an already hopped partial boil - adding it right at the end of the boil is fine. Mix it well and let it sit for 10 minutes to sanitize - like dbsmith says better to be on the safe side.

Boiling it is fine, too....mix well and careful not to scorch.

Pasteurization happens about 162F,so need to boil the DME or LME. I add mt late extract additions at flame out while the wort is still at boil temps. Then cover & steep 15 minutes before chilling. Works just fine with no infections,since the wort temp is still 180F+.

Latest posts

Back