Snowshoe WV beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vellum

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm headed up to Snowshoe WV for a few days shortly and I was wondering what breweries/beers I should try while up there. I live in Norfolk, VA so it isn't exactly far away but I don't want to miss out on anything unique.

Cheers,
Vellum

If you are heading thru Waynesboro, VA you can hit Starhill, Blue Mountain and Devils Backbone breweries. The later two have excellent food as well.

I hear ya. I work in Charlottesville quite a bit. Devil's backbone is one of my favorites. Was hoping to hear more west Virginia specific but maybe it is a bit dry there so to speak.

Unfortunately there's nothing really close. Bridge Brew Works in Fayetteville is about 2 hours away, as is Blackwater. Maybe Snowshoe has some local beer in their restaurant, but given that craft beer is having a rough, slow time moving into WV after the 2009 "pop the cap" it might be good to take a little backup beer with you.

Well I wandered around the village today. I can't say the selection is huge but there are a few offerings for anyone who follows in my footsteps. Great lakes brewing is here, I saw their porter (could have been a stout, I didn't ask) as well as their Elliot ness amber lager (although the keg had kicked so I didn't get to try it). The beer I did have was a Seneca ipa by mountain brewing Co. Which the bartender said was a WV beer.

So with that being said if anyone follows in my footsteps, there is some craft beer to try here that I have not found in my neck of the woods (Norfolk, VA) and the ipa was fairly tasty although served at almost frozen temps at cheats pizza.

Happy brewing and drinking everyone, and thank you for your replies.

Back