Arrrgghhh The sun it BURNS!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got up this morning and took a leisurely stroll to the basement to watch a lil' fermentation in action only to find the cats had yanked the blanket off my carboy and my IPA was catching a tan!!!:mad: I mean there was a freakin' ray of sunlight blasting through the window right onto my carboy like Indiana Jones just found the secret location of the ark in the map room!!! WTF!!! The sun came up around 6:00, so it had been a good 2 hours. So... Do I scrap it? Wait and see how it turns out? What??

hmm...I think I'm gonna skin the cat.

Yikes!

I would get a sample and see how it tastes. Even if it's not great, it's probably still drinkable. My beer would have to be poisoned, I think, before I dump it. In fact the only batch I dumped had an exploded thermometer in it. Anything else, I'll suffer through and drink it.

LOL on the Indiana Jones though, sorry to hear it!

Are you kidding me? I let my primary fermentation take place in an only slightly dark basement. You really think those blankets are really keeping all the light out? Sure, it helps, but I doubt it's a big deal. RDWHAHB... It'll be fine!

how big is the window? if it was in the morning, chances are the sun wasn't hitting your carboy for all that long. I'm sure it will be fine.

Cripes you guys are paranoid.
2086-DontPanic_800.jpg

If 2 hours of sun skunked beer you would never know what a non skunked beer was like
It's beer not a vampire.

Are your windows, low UV transmission jobs? If they are, you're probably ok. If they aren't tell people you were making a crappy mexican beer, chances are, they'll lap it up.

That's true. The majority of my fellow drinking buddies aren't beer connoisseurs. To them it's all good if its some shade of gold and fizzy.

They aren't high ranking officers of the EAC such as us!!!:rockin:

I've got a weird one. I was bottling this afternoon, and one of our cats started lapping up some of my diluted iodine water solution. I thought, that can't be good, and also, why would a cat want to drink that in the first place? Yuck. She seems okay though, although I don't think she had much at all.

If it skunks (highly doubtful), advertise it as a St. Pauly Girl Clone.

Mmmmmm St. Pauly Girl......

Oh yeah...burlap sacks and rocks...that'll take care of your "problem"... (kidding)

I love cats...nothing beats a kitty fritter. :)

Back