American wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I know when making a german hefe you don't need a secondary. Should I or shouldn't I use a secondary on an american wheat? I brewed it on Monday the
18th and I'm leaving for a weeks vacation on the 25th. I'm trying to decide if I should leave it alone until I return or rack to a secondary right before I leave.

You'll be fine just leaving it alone and it'll be ready to bottle or keg when you return.

I think it might be time to make a wheat myself... spring is right around the corner (hopefully).

I brewed a citrus wheat on 2-11 after reading around the forums ive decided to just leave it in the primary the entire time. After I bottle it im gonna pitch another wheat beer on the same cake.

yes you can.

and using a secondary is completely up to you. it'll be fine without it.

one of my best hefes ever was an american wheat that had quite a bit of hops, i used irish moss AND i used secondary. it was extract, but it came out quite clear...everyone really enjoyed it.

of course, i've made some great german-style hefes as well and never use a secondary with those.

DEVASPAWN- Yes you can but its been mentioned before that anything you add to the beer like orange peel for example may carry through a tiny bit into the next beer. This is my first time pitching onto a cake though so really i have no idea.

Back