First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkuchta

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first batch pitched my yeast and the bucket is in the basement. Generally how long before the airlock starts to bubble?

bkuchta said:
So I just brewed my first batch pitched my yeast and the bucket is in the basement. Generally how long before the airlock starts to bubble?

Depends.
Maybe not all if there is a leak in the lid and gas escapes there. Common with buckets.
Check out the stickie in this forum titled airlock activity not a good sign of fermentation.
Also dependent on yeast health and viability at pitch time.

Basically, if your process was good, just relax and wait. The yeast know what I do!

RDWHAHB!!

bkuchta said:

Generally within 24 hours. But don't panic if you don't see anything happening after that. Leave the lid on and reply to this thread. There will be questions.

Depends.
Maybe not all if there is a leak in the lid and gas escapes there. Common with buckets.
Check out the stickie in this forum titled airlock activity not a good sign of fermentation.
Also dependent on yeast health and viability at pitch time.

Basically, if your process was good, just relax and wait. The yeast know what I do!

RDWHAHB!!
1+
Congrats on your first brew let us know how it came out

my last batch showed no signs of life for over 24 hrs. Then, that afternoon the lid literally blew off. If this helps

It wa an American pale ale. I wanted to keep it simple the first time.

It's been about 23 hours now and the air loc is bubbling slowly. About 1 time every 5 minutes or so. I am getting worried that I didn't aerate enough. I poured into the bucket and stirred it some. Getting anxious! Lol

Well, "stirring it some" doesn't sound like enough aeration to me, but that just means the yeast will have a slower start. They should get going, it'll just take longer.
When I aerate, I usually rock the fermenter back and forth pretty aggressively for about five or ten minutes total. All of my (two) beers have started going within twelve hours.

Well, "stirring it some" doesn't sound like enough aeration to me, but that just means the yeast will have a slower start. They should get going, it'll just take longer.
When I aerate, I usually rock the fermenter back and forth pretty aggressively for about five or ten minutes total. All of my (two) beers have started going within twelve hours.

Yes, but "pouring it into the bucket", along with stirring it up some, should be plenty of aeration.

That sounds just about the same as I have done for all of my 20-30 batches. Never had an issue with the yeast, like someone said they know what to do!

bkuchta said:
It's been about 23 hours now and the air loc is bubbling slowly. About 1 time every 5 minutes or so. I am getting worried that I didn't aerate enough. I poured into the bucket and stirred it some. Getting anxious! Lol

Sounds like you are on your way to beervana! Despite your most nagging urges, leave it alone for at least two weeks. Three would be better, if you can stand it! I made the mistake on my first batch of bottling after 10 days and letting it bottle condition for 2 weeks. It was...underwhelming. Next batch I let go for 3 weeks, followed by 2 bottled - better. One after that, 3 and 3 - even better! You get the idea.

Cheers!

What about putting it in a secondary fermenter. Would that be better?

Depends on who you talk to but it seems either works. I have moved some beer to secondary and left others in primary with no discernable differences. I would just leave it for two weeks and then check your gravity to know when the yeasties have finished their work. Beer is pretty resilient so usually just leaving it is the best option.

Enjoy the obsession (hobby) that you have just started.

bkuchta said:
What about putting it in a secondary fermenter. Would that be better?

Ooooohhhhh, now you are tapping on troubles door :)

To secondary or not is personal preference, but general consensus is only if dry hopping, adding fruit or oak chips or long term aging.
Otherwise the risk of oxidation and contamination is not worth it.

yeah that RDWHAHB mantra really helps out, if you don't have any homebrew drink a microbrew or two, or three.

bkuchta,
I add my congrats to everyone else on your 1st beer!:mug:
And make sure you remember about the importance of proper fermentation temperature control. Check out the about kagillion threads on the subject. Essentially, keeping your fermentation temp. down at the lower edge of your yeast's tolerance range will usually give you a much better brew.

Latest posts

Back