Yeast gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question to Master Brewers here.. I bought a White Labs Yeast WL838 from Austin Homebrew. They shipped it on Thursday with an icepack.. I only received it today (Tuesday). The yeast pack looks like this (pic).. Is it obviously gone bad? or should I make an Yeast Starter and thats the only way to know if this yeast is still good? Thanks guys:)

14829_142570882568328_1749628629_n.jpg

Nope, looks like the yeast are just flocc'ed to the bottom of the vial. (i.e. totally normal)

I would still recommend a starter, but thats just because I always use a starter with White labs yeast.

The only thing I would worry about would be if it got overheated, but our temps here in TX have been really nice lately. It's probably experienced the equivalent of sitting out on the counter for a few days, and will be definitely proven with a starter!

I don't really see the problem with that vial. Are you concerned that it's compressed somewhat ? All the yeast I buy from the LHBS is compressed to the bottom of the vial. Do you always have your vials shipped ? Maybe you're just used to seeing them pre-shaken in transit.

Or is it that it's not as pressed down as much as usual and you're concerned that it's been shaken too much ?

Or am I missing something ?

I'm confused as to why it took 4 days to get to you. I order from AHS all the time, and here in Galveston it's overnight. I know It's about 250 miles further, but the 4 day shipping seems insane to me.

sorry for the delay in reply.. I always get my yeast shipped. we don't have a LHBS yet in El Paso. Also, I have had bad luck with Austin homebrew shipping for the past 3 times. It will take minimum 6 days to a week before I get my stuff from the time I place the order. They ship it out after 3 days and it takes another 3 to get to El Paso, TX. :-/

Back