Couple of inches of kraken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charley

Reaction score
When I did my first batch there was a lot of kraken... Enough of go through the airlock. I've since learned the value of a blow off tube. My second batch only gave about two inches of kraken. First batch I used the cheap packet of yeast, the second i used a liquid (San Diego super). Should I be concerned that I didn't get a lot of kraken? The first batch took about 3 days to start fermentation and the second took about 15 hours. First batch I was way off on temperature (72-74 degrees). Second batch was much more controlled at a steady 65-67. Any thoughts or concerns?

krausen my friend, krausen. Unless you are unleashing the kracken in your brew. From my limited experience your krausen levels can depend from batch to batch, depending on your OG, temp, ect. I wouldn't be worried.

Kind Regards,
Steve

charley said:
Lol whoopsy. Newb here... Obviously.

+1 Giving props to Greek mythology. Ferm temps and good aeration lead to faster activity. Once you get that down, you should read up on yeast starters. Buying a ferm chamber brought my brewing to a new level. Good luck

"That IPA's got some bite!"

Kraken_mouth_DMC.jpg

I think you're okay with no krauken :) on the San Diego super yeast. From what I've read about it, it's a great yeast but is known for little krausen. Gravity readings will tell you what is happening more than the visual, obvious signs we sometimes rely upon.

Back