First!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loup City checkin in!:rockin: Just getting ready to brew my first beer. A nice Kolsch extract from NB. Can't wait.

New to Nebraska , from Wyoming . Been brewing for about ten years now, still feel like a noob sometimes. A/G 10 gal batchs. The good thing is here in Morrill the weather is so much better than in Wy. that I'm going to start growing hops this spring.

New to Nebraska , from Wyoming . Been brewing for about ten years now, still feel like a noob sometimes. A/G 10 gal batchs. The good thing is here in Morrill the weather is so much better than in Wy. that I'm going to start growing hops this spring.

Where at in Wyo? I'm from Thermopolis

Have noticed...it seems there are far more homebrewers in Lincoln than elsewhere...personally, I attribute it to UNL, but I'm probably wrong :)

Welcome all N, S, E, & W!

Another Lincolnite here. I'm doing mostly extract, playing around with different partial mash options.

Ainsworth extract brewing loving it so far wanting to go AG as soon as i find some kegs!! so if anyone can help me out PM me

In lincoln. Started out w two batches of extract brewing, now im in the process of setting up my "laboratory" for all grain. Been learning alot about different systems. If anyone cares to learn together send me a message and we can become brew buddies and divide beers on brew days. :)

West Omaha. Started 12 years ago and then stopped. Have just jumped back in with a Belgium Schelde (bottled), Kolsch (primary), 2 1 Gal JAOM Meads (primary). On deck is a 5 gal blueberry Mead and a Nut Brown Ale. All extract kits except for the meads.

Do you guys get your ingredients online or local? I have yet to find anything reasonable in town and just curious who you guys use?

Fermenters Supply and Cornhusker Beverage & Bridal. Both have very dated websites. No online for Fermenters and the online was down at Cornhusker. I was recently at Fermenters Supply and honestly, I'm not sure if I will be back. The prices were OK, but the store really needs to be updated and cleaned. I couldn't even see through the glass door of the yeast cooler/fridge.

I do believe you should support your LHBS, but it is getting harder and harder. The online shops like Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, and More Beer with the flat rate and free shipping has really become my LBHS. They have the selection, the online store, and quick shipping. I have made trips to the LBHS, only to find out they don't have what I was looking for. The time and the gas easily pay for the shipping at one of the online shops.

Sorry for painting a bleak picture of what is the downfall of the LBHS, but it is the reality.

opus345 said:
Fermenters Supply and Cornhusker Beverage & Bridal. Both have very dated websites. No online for Fermenters and the online was down at Cornhusker. I was recently at Fermenters Supply and honestly, I'm not sure if I will be back. The prices were OK, but the store really needs to be updated and cleaned. I couldn't even see through the glass door of the yeast cooler/fridge.

I do believe you should support your LHBS, but it is getting harder and harder. The online shops like Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, and More Beer with the flat rate and free shipping has really become my LBHS. They have the selection, the online store, and quick shipping. I have made trips to the LBHS, only to find out they don't have what I was looking for. The time and the gas easily pay for the shipping at one of the online shops.

Sorry for painting a bleak picture of what is the downfall of the LBHS, but it is the reality.

I agree. I don't live in Omaha but make it there regularly. Both of the stores are quite lacking and overpriced. Liquid yeast at $11 a tube and dry yeast for $5 a sachet is ridiculous. I understand that people have to make money but when I can have something shipped to my house for cheaper than it costs to pick it up in Omaha, guess what is going to win out. Fermenters Supply had a 55 pound bag of Weyerman's Dark Wheat Malt for 90 bucks. It looked like it had been sitting around for a while. I guess I am spoiled as I get to the Brew Hut in Denver as much as I get to Omaha. With specialty grains going for $1.85 a pound, it is hard to justify paying almost double in Omaha.

i've been to both places, and Frank at ferm. supply was a nice guy, but i've "heard" things... like taking a 50# bag of crystal 20 and labelling it as both 20, 40 and 60, in 1lb bags for sale. i agree it needs a thorough cleaning.

cornhusker bev is where i usually go, the guys are super nice, yes, the prices are a bit higher than online, but again, no shipping no waiting. etc.

there's a little place in columbus now too, it's in prokupek's boot repair shop. just a corner of the store, mostly brewers best extract kits and briess DME, it's got a big wine kit selection...(not my bag) about 5 varieties of yeast, 5 or 6 types of pellet hops, and then bottles, and fermenters etc. a few types of specialty grains. but the guy that runs the shop is an absolute Hoot... the second time i went in there he knew my name and made a joke about how i always look at everything... 4 weeks between visits!

i agree that NorthernBrewer has become my "LHBS" because i really don't have anything actually Local... columbus is 65 miles, and omaha is 130. so, if i can spread the shipping out over a bunch of items, it makes it easier to pay 7.99, and wait the 48 hours it takes NB to get my stuff to my door.

drew

Lincoln here. Kirk's Brew is where I shop often, but I pickup occasional items online or via a bulk buy with the brew club (we've ordered 2 pallets of grain before, as well as 3 pallets of used oak casks).

Originally from North Platte, which is where I first made some mead, and a batch of beer before The Tangled Web closed shop (it was a knitting/brew store, husband & wife team).

I go to Kirk's too. From my research, it's cheaper to buy some things locally if you're only buying a small amount, i.e. a few pounds of grain, a packet of yeast, etc. Kirk's is fairly priced, I think, considering he's a small business. Plus I don't mind supporting the shop, because I'd like to keep it around.

But if you're able to plan several batches ahead, and have a good stockpile of cash, you can save some money per batch by ordering online, definitely. I did that to start with, and bought a 55 pound bag of DME. I'm nearing the bottom now :(

In west Omaha, been doin all grain for a little over a year now. I cant seem to brew enough, i love it. Cheers!

tandom590 said:
In west Omaha, been doin all grain for a little over a year now. I cant seem to brew enough, i love it. Cheers!

I'm in the same situation tandom. Been brewing for about a year and would brew every weekend if I could. I live near Westside and have done 5 extract and three AG batches, all with great results. I Want to really start stepping up the production and do some experimenting with recipes/hop variations etc.

Kearney here, we have a pretty good group of brewers out here. Kearney Area Brewers.

hey maksets,
i'm in GI, when's the next Kearney Area Brewers meeting?
i'd like to come attend.
i work with Dave from wood river.

flushdrew42 said:
hey maksets,
i'm in GI, when's the next Kearney Area Brewers meeting?
i'd like to come attend.
i work with Dave from wood river.

Hrm... Last reply doesn't seem to be posting...

We are meeting 15 June. I'll be in Idaho so I'll miss the next meeting. We have a website and the calendar is kept up well: http://www.kearneyareabrewers.com/
Good group of brewers and you are welcome to come!

Im in Lincoln. Only been here a year. Been brewing for ~8 months. Just extract now, but hope to move to AG in the near future.

I am in lincoln. I have been brewing for a year and it is the best thing that has ever happend to me! I do AG and 5 gal. batches.

I discovered brewing back january and been doing it like crazy since. all grain batches with an awesome herms system I built. I brew every couple weeks. I have so much beer.

Back