BIG brett yeast cake. Recipe suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeldomSeen

Reaction score
So, I have a BIG batch of brett that I could use to ferment a BIG beer. It is 4 different strains. I don't have the list off the top of my head right now.

Currently, its fermenting a Dubbel (Zainasheff Black Scapular recipe). But I am going to have a LARGE amount of yeast left over.

So I was thinking about doing a big beer.
I was thinking something along the lines of an IPA or Imperial Stout on Brett but thought the hop amounts might be too high.

Perhaps a Belgian golden style ale?
Ferment temps in my basement right now are about 73-74 pretty consistently.

Any suggested recipes?

Unfortunately, since you have a mix of strains in there you may have to wait til the dubbel is fermented to get an idea on what to make since you won't really know what character is expected. Even then it could change as they won't necessary ferment at the same rates again.

Brett is unaffected by the amount of hops so an IPA or RIS would be fine. BGSA would be a good choice too.

Could you wash Brett the same way as a typical ale yeast to reuse later? I have a similar situation that will result in a huge brett yeast cake with several strands I want to save.

Could you wash Brett the same way as a typical ale yeast to reuse later? I have a similar situation that will result in a huge brett yeast cake with several strands I want to save.

Yep, you sure can.

"Blends" or when you pitch different strains are VERY hard to get the same % back when washing, wether its one strain that dies off or to much population of another.

All im saying is dont expect the same results from washing a 2-3strain pitch.

OP i would pitch a huge IIPA on that cake and let it ride out. Should be an interesting experiment. Im about to have Crooked staves hop savant tnite and was interested to see its a 100% brett pale hoped with citra and mosaic.

"Blends" or when you pitch different strains are VERY hard to get the same % back when washing, wether its one strain that dies off or to much population of another.

All im saying is dont expect the same results from washing a 2-3strain pitch.

OP i would pitch a huge IIPA on that cake and let it ride out. Should be an interesting experiment. Im about to have Crooked staves hop savant tnite and was interested to see its a 100% brett pale hoped with citra and mosaic.

Yes, I second this. My comment was referring to a cake from a single strain of Brett .

Back