Feeding the bugs (Roeselare)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
I just reread the recipe for Flanders Red in "Brewing Classic Styles", and it mentions that you shouldn't make the beer too big, or the alcohol will ward off the Brett.

If this is the case, and I'm sure it is, should I keep a close eye on my gravity, and pitch my Roeselare before I see too much attenuation? I was hoping to let the primary finish out, rack to my secondary(5 gallon carboy), then pitch the bugs. I really don't want the bugs in my bucket fermentor. My S.G. is 63, and I used Safale US-05. I overshot my target gravity by a few points, and I'd like to fix any errors that I can before I age this beer for over a year!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Cheers,
Zach

You weren't too far off. The bugs really don't start to get inhibited by the alcohol until around 8%. I don't think you will make it up that high.

If you're really concerned about it, you could always water it down with a bit of boiled/cooled water. Since there's almost no hop bitterness to begin with, it couldn't hurt it to water it down a little bit. But that's your call. I think you'll be okay.

If you're really concerned about it, you could always water it down with a bit of boiled/cooled water. Since there's almost no hop bitterness to begin with, it couldn't hurt it to water it down a little bit. But that's your call. I think you'll be okay.

Well, I ended up with about 4-1/2 gallons after racking. I've been sitting at 1.017 for four days, and decided I've got a stuck fermentation. Racked to secondary, added bugs, and an airlock. After fermentation finishes up, I'll insert the oak peg into the carboy and let 'er rip for about a year. Can't wait to try this one!

Back