Cold Crashing (joes quick pyment) question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasperrrr

Reaction score
Ok so I'm still fairly new to brewin, I have a few one gal batches of Joes Quick Grape Mead that started 7/18. I racked and topped off with remaining juice. On 8/25 I noticed no visible activity in the air lock, waited till today 8/30 and there is about a 1 inch layer of yeasties on the bottom now.

So my plan is to cold crash and rack to tertiary for bulk age 3months. I've never cold crashed before. My refrigerator is packed with food.
So my questions are, can I crash in my freezer (0 degrees F)? How long should I leave it in for? After crashing and racking should I back sweeten(wine conditioner) and stabilize then? Or should I wait the three months and do it at bottling?

I would know the gravity and if ferment has completely stopped, but someone had a bit too much apfelwein last night and stepped on his hydrometer. Der!

If these is a dumb questions, sorry. I'm one of those over cautious newbie brewers! Thanks alot!

I would make some room in your fridge or get an ice chest and keep fresh ice

BryanThompson said:
You need to keep it above freezing. Leave it in there for however long you want.

I've put them the freezer for ahh, less than an hour now, putting them in a few coolers w/ ice right now. Thanks!

Any ideas on the other questions anyone?

Back