Adding flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
I started my second batch of American style light (4th batch total) saturday and I just got to thinking about an hour ago if I should add a fruit flavor? If i did, how would I add it? Ive read somewhere on here that I could add it to the bottom of my secondary and rack the beer on to it, but I my secondary has recently become my bottling bucket so Its stuck in the primary for a while. Can I still add a fruit while its in the primary?

I wouldn't add fruit in the primary just because there's a ton of sediment already at the bottom and you don't want to have to work around more.

As for how much to add, it all depends on how strong you want the flavor. For a strong flavor, I usually add a pound per gallon. But, with an american style light beer, you won't need much to get a noticeable flavor. Maybe 2-3 pounds total. I add it to the secondary and I usually use fresh fruit that's been frozen, or Oregon Fruit Puree.

Don't use the flavorings you find at your LHBS...most of them suck. Cherry will leave your beer tasting like cough syrup. The only ones I've found that are good are raspberry and peach.

thats the flavor ive gotten will every cherry flavored beer ive tried. they just dont go together that well. i may toss in some raspberries though, that sounds like fun. It will ferment again with the natural sugar of the fruit wont it?

Back