Beer-Batter Fried Pickles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

Reaction score
Lifted from a recent issue of Southern Living

Beer-Batter Fried Pickles

Makes 8 to 10 servings
Prep: 15 min.
Fry: 4 min. per batch

2 (16 oz.) jars dill pickle sandwich slices, drained (Vlasic Kosher Dill Stackers)
1 large egg
1 (12 oz.) bottle beer
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce (see recipe below)

1. Pat pickles dry with paper towels.
2. Whisk together egg and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add 1-1/2 cups flour and whisk until smooth.
3. Pour vegetable oil to a depth of 1-1/2 inches into a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 375 F.
4. Dip pickle slices into batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Fry pickles, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Drain and pat dry on paper towels; serve immediately with Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce.

Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce

Makes about 1 cup
Prep: 10 min.

3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 Tbsp. minced green onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
Garnish: seasoned salt

1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Garnish, if desired. Store in an airtight container in fridge up to 2 weeks.

Mm, fried pickles. Almost as good as fried corn on the cob. Just use the same batter recipe and dip in your cooked corn on the cob. Also, try dipping your favorite stuffed green olives in the batter and frying them up.
Going to have to call mom tonight, now. She used to make these for me as a kid. Good ol southern cookin. Gonna send ya to an early grave, but you'll be smiling all the way.

Try using pickle spears instead of the slices. The spears hold up much better when fried, and you can get that crisp of a pickle, without having a mushy product

I've never had a fried pickle before, but I know that they've got to be awesome. I'm guessing they're best served right away. Do they "keep" well? Can you make them, and then take them to a party?

They don't keep well at all. The moisture inside of a pickle continues to come out after they have come out of the fryer, meaning they pretty much steam their breading meaning either soggy pickles or the batter comes off. But, just out of the fryer and into a dipping sauce and they are fantastic. I actually like them sprinkled with Hops Salt too.

They don't keep well at all. The moisture inside of a pickle continues to come out after they have come out of the fryer, meaning they pretty much steam their breading meaning either soggy pickles or the batter comes off. But, just out of the fryer and into a dipping sauce and they are fantastic. I actually like them sprinkled with Hops Salt too.

Thanks, I assumed that was the case.

Makin em tonight. I love fried pickles!

How did I miss this recipe? I'm ashamed....

Back