Kreusen wont fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtfeld

Reaction score
First batch in my new plastic conical. It's a Sierra Nevada clone. It's had a head of kreusen on top since day one about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't fallen in yet.

Will it fall in or should I skim it off?

I'll post a pic when I get home not working from iphone

Try giving the fermenter a couple of twist back and forth every couple of hours, You should be able to get it to fall and not disturb the yeast bed much, especially in a conical.

I dumped some yeast last night and it stratified in the cup exactly like it is in the fermentor Dead yeast below, clear beer in the middle and a kreusen layer on top... Must still be working...

I gave it a couple good twists, its free from the side walls...

It's about 63. I gave it a couple good twists but it kept floating. I finally scraped it off yesterday. It was about 1/2" thick and looked to be solid yeast. Beer tasted fine.

Looked this morning and a new kreusen is forming...Never seen this but then again I've always fermented in carboys. Let the experiment continue.

What are you hoping to avoid by scooping the krausen? It ain't hurting nobody. The rise and fall of krausen is influenced by extremely complicated things understood only by the foam scientists of the world. I've got a 7 week old saison in primary right now that still has an inch of krausen. Leave your poor beer alone! :mug:

This is the first batch in a conical I built and I dont have all the plumbing issues worked out. I've dumped more than I should and have lost a little more than planned. Just trying not to lose a lot more trying ringer this stuff out later.

Still learning...

You could top-crop the yeast now that you've cleaned off the top. I did that to my Wyeast Kolsch last week and got over one inch of yeast in a quart mason jar for future use. :ban:

Some yeasts just aren't that flocculant and some will keep a head of krausen up until racking day.

I've racked from under 2 inches of krausen before on a wit. It was ready for keg but still had a huge head. It was a recipe I'd done 3-4 times previously. Tasted the same as always and had the same FG, krausen just stuck around longer that time.

Back