Imperial Stout FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I brewed an imperial stout with a starting gravity of 1.118. Today I transferred to a secondary and the gravity was 1.042. I was hoping for a bit more attenuation (I was finger crossing for 1.035) but I didn’t use the most ideal yeast, I pitched on a cake of 1968 London ESB. It is hard to tell if the beer is too sweet at this time; it is very green. I don’t expect it to go down much more, if at all, in the secondary. For the style, do you feel that this FG is acceptable? I know some bigger imperial stouts (ie Dark Lord) have an FG around 1.050 but it also have a higher OG. What do you guys think? Should I leave well enough alone or pitch some 1056 or something into the secondary? It is just difficult to say how the beer will taste with some age on it and I don’t plan on drinking on this for at least 6 months.

It should be fine. You really have to baby high gravity beers though to get the attenuation you're looking for. Huge starters, and multiple yeast pitches help.

Latest posts

Back