Why not cover pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bri01605

Reaction score
I have read many posts and recipes and all require brew pot to come to temperature uncovered. Why? Putting a lid on it will surely decrease wait time. Let me know your thoughts. What's the worse that could happen?

Brian - 5 batches so far and hooked

You can cover the pot to bring it up to boil faster, but once the boil starts you need to take the cover off.

The hour boil is for the hops and to get rid of DMS. If you cover the pot the DMS that is boiled off condenses on the lid and falls back into the pot.

I have read many posts and recipes and all require brew pot to come to temperature uncovered. Why? Putting a lid on it will surely decrease wait time. Let me know your thoughts. What's the worse that could happen?

Brian - 5 batches so far and hooked

Like beergolf said you can keep the cover on initially but it should be at least partially removed once the wort comes to a boil. Besides reducing the chance of a boilover there are compounds being boiled off that you want to leave the wort, not condense on the underside of the lid and run back into the kettle.

I forgot to mention it, but if you do cover to bring it to a boil, watch it like a hawk. It can go from looking like nothing is happening to instant boil over. Check it occasionally with you thermometer, and when you get close to a boil it is best to remove the lid.

DMS gives you tastes of canned corn or canned vegetables in your beer. This is a bad thing, which is why you should boil with the lid off.

Back