Cooling the fermenter without water bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankev

Reaction score
I am limited in the space where I can ferment. Which is to say I was granted the bottom of a small linen closet. It stays a nice, consistent 66 or so, which is mostly fine, except for the first few days of fermentation.

I know the standard cooling practice is to put the fermenter in a big bucket of water, but I don't really have the space. Have any of you found success with other techniques?

I am limited in the space where I can ferment. Which is to say I was granted the bottom of a small linen closet. It stays a nice, consistent 66 or so, which is mostly fine, except for the first few days of fermentation.

I know the standard cooling practice is to put the fermenter in a big bucket of water, but I don't really have the space. Have any of you found success with other techniques?

Can you fit an apt sized fridge in there?

I have never tried it, but some have used a wet t-shirt with a fan blowing over it. I would think a bit of plastic under the carboy would keep water away from the floor if you don't soak the shirt.

I've bungeed frozen ice packs to a carboy before and put a fan on it, but it's really kind of a PITA because they melt quickly and you've gotta change 'em out.

why not just let it ferment in there. i use to do the same and still came out with good beers.

why not just let it ferment in there. i use to do the same and still came out with good beers.

That really depends on which strain you are using.

Notty at 72F+ = bad
Your average belgian strain at 72F+ = standard

That's what I've been doing, but I recently did a RIS, and the fermentation was vigorous, and temps hit the mid 70s. I'd rather avoid that if I can.

That was me last summer with the wet tee (not dripping wet) & a 12" turbo fan from Target. It kept the fermenter between 72-74F on the hottest days. Just gave it a few days extra time to clean up,which also cleared it nicely. 3-5 weeks later,the ales were quite good. I was wondering about those plastic freezer packs,a bungee cord,& a styrofoam cooler up ended big enough to include the air lock. Or have a grommeted hole for an external blow off?
Winter is easier,since I use a small electric oil heater in my makeshift man cave. I can usually keep the FV at 68 or 69F most of the time.

Back