brew pots.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
The brew pot im using is a pot I borrowed from a friend. Its a 6 gal pot.
Heres the thing. I have an electric stove(one of those glass black top stoves). I get boils but its realy hard for me to get a nice rolling boil going.

Could this be because the pot im using is really heavy and thick. It's def not a thin aluminum one. It's definetly steel or something. Also, I'm boiling 3 gallons of water which has a lot to do with it. I want to get a burner but in the meantime should I just buy a thinner pot?? Or get one of the bayou burners?

If your question is whether to buy a thinner pot or a better source of heat for the pot you have, I would go with the heat source. A burner has future uses. A thin pot will likely become obsolete at some point.

Still using a turkey deep fryer burner with a converted keg to do 12 gallon boils. Best 60$ I ever spend. Got me: burner, aluminum pot, thermometer and various other nick nacks.

I hope to get a bigger burner one day, but so far so good.

Can I just buy a heat stick from someone??? I know midwest sells items like this but they are like 2-300 bucks.

Doubtful, I don't know that I'd ever sell a waterproofed extension cord that you drop in to a pot of boiling liquid to anyone. I have however made one for a friend that purchased the parts.

Is that an Amana black glass top? Mine has one super burner on the lower left side that has two ranges of settings. It takes about half an hour to get three gallons in a Polarware stainless steel kettle to a rolling boil on the highest setting in the high range, but once you get there, if you dial back to the lowest setting on the low range it maintains a rolling boil nicely without boil overs. You might want to just try again and get used to what it can do.

John

Latest posts

Back