First homemade extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardo

Reaction score
Hey I am new to this forum and this recipe will be my first home made recipe extract ale. I was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on the recipie? I was thinking that the nuggest and t-58 will give it a bit of a spicy herbal flavour/aroma to drag back the tropical flavour of the citra. I am not too fussed about being a specific style, but I like hoppy beers and have used citra before and liked the flavour, I also like paler ales. Anyways let me know If you think this is a good idea and what it will taste like!

I used the beer calculus on hopville to get the estimated numbers.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Safbrew T-58
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (litres): 21 (partial boil of 6.3 litres)
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 55.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 7° EBC

Primary Fermentation: 12 days at 18-20°C
Secondary Fermentation: 12 days at 18-20°C

Extract
0.5KG of extra light dry extract – 60min boil
2.5KG of extra light dry extract – added at the end of post boil hop time

Hop Schedule
Usage------Time-----Grams------Hops-------AA » IBU

boil--------60 min------15---Nugget ~ leaf----15.1 » 30.2
boil--------10 min------15---Citra ~ leaf------14.4 » 10.4
boil--------10 min------20---Nugget ~ leaf----15.1 » 14.6
post-boil---30 min------30---Citra ~ leaf------14.4 » 0.0
dry hop----7 days------20---Citra ~ leaf----- 14.4 » 0.0

Well you'd get a a very light colored beer. I don't know how interesting it would be to taste. It'd be about 5.7% ABV and fairly well hopped. I've used the T-58 yeast once and the result was not too interesting. It doesn't look like it would technically fit into any style guidelines. It would be an over hopped American Pale Ale but it would just miss the low end of the O.G. range to be an American IPA. So what's left is an English IPA but it technically is too light a color to fit within the English IPA style. Darken it a bit and it'll be an English IPA. So I'd suggest you steep 0.35 Kg of British Crystal 50/60L for 30 minutes at 67 degrees C in 0.75 liters water, strain out the malt and add the wort to the pot. That would make this a true English IPA with a 16.5° EBC albeit with the American hops. Personally I'd substitute the T-58 yeast for Wyeast 1968 or Safale-04 and Challenger, Northern Brewer or Target hops for the Nugget and Fuggles or Kent Goldings for the Citra and it'd be a better IPA indeed.

Let us know what you decide to do. All the best!

Hi buzzerj, thanks for the reply! Like I said before I am primarily concerned about the flavor rather then style or appearance, although i tend to like the look of paler ales! Will having an extra light instead of a light extract result in a less sweet tasting beer? What do you mean by the T-58 being not too interesting? I have read that bannana and some spicey tones can be just about noticed if you use the T-58 whilst the safale 04 has more of a neutral profile and can take abit more of a beating... What is your reason for hop change? Is it personal preference or is the combination of nugget and citra not one which leads to good results? How about my hop timings, quantities and dry hopping? I like the idea of steeping the crystal malts, what about crystal wheat malts, like the idea of a biscuity flavour to the counterbalance the tropical flavour of citra. Sorry for the 20 questions, its great to pick the brains of people with more experience.

Thanks again for your help

By all means use what you feel most comfortable in using. You're drinking it. My experience with the T-58 ended up being less than well received. I'd be personally less apt to use this yeast again. The Extra Light Extract is more based on color that anything else. It could be pilsner rather than two-row for a lighter body but really if you used a normal light LME you'd be fine and may really detect little difference. But if you're big on light colored beers by all means use the extra light malt extract. Regarding the hops suggestions, I was just trying to be the purist in trying to sculpt your recipe more in line with an English IPA style. If that's not what you intend, go with it. I have no concerns with your hop combination as it is. If you wish to have biscuit involved I'd add some biscuit malt like Victory or a Belgian Biscuit into the steep. If you added say a CaraWheat instead you'd still sacrifice your pale color your trying to achieve although slightly less than using the British Crystal. Even Victory or Belgian Biscuit Malt is 24-28L so using a fairly small quantity (8 oz.) of either will bring your final color up a couple degrees EBC. So if you use the British Crystal and Victory you'd be at 18.5° EBC versus 17.5° EBC for the 12 oz. Weyermann's CaraWheat and 8 oz. Victory combination. So consider each and go with what you'd like best.

I recommend kits for new brewers, you're more likely to be happy with your beer and keep up the hobby. If you don't like an original recipe, you'll never know if it's the recipe, your brewing techniques, or your ferm techniques.

The fewer variables, the more predictable the success.

Thanks for your help guys, finished brewing this batch yesterday and it is bubbling away nicely. In the end I went with the biscuit malt and used the safeale-04! I also reduced the abv to a predicted 4.8 by using less of the extract and removed some of the bittering hops. Here is a link to what it turned out to be! http://hopville.com/recipe/1689742

Back