Apples in Fruit Press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyA

Reaction score
Alright, so I took a few apples out of the freezer and let them thaw today. I discovered that they now have about the same firmness as a fairly ripe garden tomato instead of the very hard firmness I am familiar with. Cut one in half and squeezed the juice out as if it was a plum. My question is, would a grape press suffice in the pressing of these apples if I ground them up? They are much softer than fresh apples, and even though most of the presses specifically say they are not recommended for apples, I would assume they are talking about firm, fresh apples, correct? What about efficiency, do you think I would get the same amount of juice out of my apples if I used a grape press? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Doesn't freezing cause the juice to be cloudy?

Heating juice causes cloudiness by setting pectins. Freezing and thawing apples will break down the cell membranes, and should allow a slightly higher yield on juice.

As for using a fruit press, last time I checked, apples are fruit. :) Grind them up first and you should be good to go.

Ok, thanks. Just checking because the descriptions I see on presses labeled "Fruit Press" specifically says "For use with grapes and other soft fruit. Not recommended for apples", but I assume that just means that throwing whole apples straight from the tree in them is probably a bad idea. Thanks.

Ok, thanks. Just checking because the descriptions I see on presses labeled "Fruit Press" specifically says "For use with grapes and other soft fruit. Not recommended for apples", but I assume that just means that throwing whole apples straight from the tree in them is probably a bad idea. Thanks.

Yeah, if you grind them into a pulp, somewhere between chunky apple sauce and baby food, you should be fine. Just remember to have the apple pulp in some kind of strainer bag when you are pressing, like cheesecloth, or even burlap.

Back