Did not rehydrate DME before adding to bottling bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjbmw330ci

Reaction score
This was my first time using DME and only my second batch ever made (first 1 gal kit called for honey not DME) and now I know I obviously made a mistake. Instead of boiling water and rehydrating the DME I merely sprinkled it on top of the racked beer in the bottling bucket and gently 'folded in' until it looked dissolved...

After two weeks with the bottles in a closet in my 70 degree house I decided to open a couple this past weekend and noticed 2 things:

1) both were flat... I've read that DME naturally takes longer to carbonate (3 weeks?), but I'm wondering if my mistake will exacerbate the issue (i.e. never carbonate)?

and

2) some but not all of the bottles had some 'stuff' floating on top... I read that it may be krausen, but I can't really tell (they're brown grolsch style bottles and all the 'stuff' stuck to the inside of the bottle when I poured it out).. I figured if it was krausen then those bottles would be 'extra carbonated' and yet the one I opened was also flat (no pop at all)...

So I guess the newbie question, do I trash them all and try again? I'm worried about adding too much DME if I try to re-bottle the correct way (i.e. how much rehydrated DME would I know to add without creating bottle bombs?)...

Any help would be great...

Thanks in advance,

the DME probably didn't mix in too well. many of those bottles will be flat, i'd guess. other's will have that 'stuff' floating in them. that 'stuff' is undoubtedly DME. when/if that mixes in and ferments, you may have some serious gushers, or even bottle bombs. whenever you're using powdered priming sugar (DME/dextrose/table sugar), you should dissolve it in boiling water, put it in the bucket and rack beer on top to mix it in. i'd keep this batch in a closed container, like a rubbermaid tote. and be extremely careful when opening them, bottle bombs are dangerous. do a search here on HBT for 'bottle bombs', folks've gotten seriously hurt from bottles exploding in their hands.

Thanks for the reply NB77. The last thing I want is a bottle bomb so it sounds like I should just dump them all and try again... I assume the 'safest' way to do this is to refrigerate all of them before opening, correct? Thanks again,

Thanks for the reply NB77. The last thing I want is a bottle bomb so it sounds like I should just dump them all and try again... I assume the 'safest' way to do this is to refrigerate all of them before opening, correct? Thanks again,

I wouldn't dump, just be careful. Maybe wear kitchen type rubber gloves when opening. And yes, fridge for several days before opening.

Just curious as to why you are using DME to prime? Corn Sugar is the easiest priming sugar you can use and carbs up most ales in 3 weeks.

Thanks again NB77, I'm gonna chalk this one up as a learning experience and move on to another one...

Jayhem, it's what my LBS gave me when I got my last recipe filled (I didn't know what to ask for at the time and they didn't give me an option)...

Thanks again NB77, I'm gonna chalk this one up as a learning experience and move on to another one...

Jayhem, it's what my LBS gave me when I got my last recipe filled (I didn't know what to ask for at the time and they didn't give me an option)...

Yeah, it is a learning experience, but I'd also be looking for another LHBS if you have any around. They should have at least gave you a few options for priming your bottles--carb drops, corn sugar, table sugar, honey....any of those would have produced better results, especially being a beginning brewer. Its why I prefer to buy online over my LHBS. I always feel like I am bothering them when I go into the store and feel rushed to get out. Plus, their prices are more expensive than online, and shipping is offset by sales tax and lower prices. Unless I need it right now, I buy online.

Just curious as to why you are using DME to prime? Corn Sugar is the easiest priming sugar you can use and carbs up most ales in 3 weeks.

either works fine. i prime many of my ales with DME, and i like the results. corn sugar primes some ales a bit faster, but IME the mouthfeel can be a bit thin in lighter beers when i prime with corn sugar. so i use DME in most of my lighter bodied beers, with beers with a higher FG, i just go for what i have on hand.

Fennis, I'll keep that in mind (this LHBS is 40 miles from my house). I just wanted to brew something quickly after my first 1 gal was completed (got hooked ;o)... But from now on with a little foresight I'll definitely consider online. Thx.

NB77 thx for the info I'll continue to keep on open mind and experiment with different types of primer as well (after all, it wasn't the DMEs fault! :eek:)

I don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew Supply both offer some fantastic kits that include everything you need to make a batch of beer including the extract, hops, yeast, priming sugar, and bottle caps. Both offer decent shipping rates and I can usually get my stuff in 3-5 days with their flat rate shipping option. Sorry to sound like an ad, but for a beginning brewer wanting to try out different types of beers, their websites are set up really well for looking up different types of beers, they usually have reviews on the kits so you know what you are getting into, and both send detailed instructions with their kits to help you along the process. Its worth checking them out.

Latest posts

Back