Where should I drill my hole? Freezer conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I have an old Philco Ford freezer and I am going to convert it to a kegerator. The freezer lines are incorporated into the racks inside and the line runs out the back. There is a large wire manifold on the back. I don't want to assume that the sides are just filled with insulation. Is there anyone who knows where I should drill my holes for the air lines and probe safely?

Most freezerator owners do not drill, but instead build a collar between the lid and freezer. You can then drill your holes through that without guessing on coolant lines.

I *think* that on an old unit like that there are no internal lines, just the ones you describe.

On units like that there is a rack on the back inside and one on the back outside. Those *should* be it.

I don't know your particular unit, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Gedvondur

You could always drills from the inside and make a very shallow hole, then remove the insulation and use a flashlight to determine if you are near any coils. I drilled a 3/8" hole in mine and found the coil lines and then just drilled a pilot and finished up from the outside.

Thanks for the heads up.... huh, huh....you said old unit

I am pretty sure that the lines run in the back only. I will have to post a picture

runhard said:
You could always drills from the inside and make a very shallow hole, then remove the insulation and use a flashlight to determine if you are near any coils. I drilled a 3/8" hole in mine and found the coil lines and then just drilled a pilot and finished up from the outside.

Yup, that's how i've done it, too.

Thread hijack (or tangential diversion, anyway). I have a similar old upright freezer with coolant lines built into the shelves...how do you (or did you, for those who have been through this) move or remove shelves to fit cornies or carboys in the freezer?

CAREFULLY bend the shelf up or down out of the way.

freezer.jpg

Thanks Bobby M and jmjbj h. That's kind of what I thought, but wanted to make sure someone else has tried it first. I don't think my coils will detach from the shelves as shown in the pic, but I should still be able to bend a shelf or two out of the way. Lagers, here I come! :ban:

Well, it wasn't easy. The shelving was made up of the coils with wire welded on. I was able to pull the wire off without damaging the coil. The only reason I tried it was because the freezer was almost free.

Latest posts

Back