New Sanitizing Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
I'm just about out of my One-Step sanitizing solution, and need to get more. What I'm wondering though, is if there is a sanitizing solution that ppl reccommend as better than One-Step. Thanks!

5gB

No-rinse sanitizer is no-rinse sanitizer. I use Star San. You could do a price comp, but other than that, it is what it is.

Evan, do you notice that your no-rinse Star-San creates any funky flavors in your beers?

5gB

Iodaphor. It's cheap and works, and it doesn't foam. I buy it in big bottles for extra savings. One capful takes care of 5 gallons.

StarSan is great stuff, if you don't mind the foam. I make up a 5 gallon batch of it and use it for weeks, storing it in a keg between uses.

Cheesefood said:
Iodaphor. It's cheap and works, and it doesn't foam. I buy it in big bottles for extra savings. One capful takes care of 5 gallons.

Same here, Iodaphor.

Cheesefood said:

One capful makes 2.5 gallons, IIRC (at 12.5PPM). I hope that I'm remembering correctly, 'cause that's what I use!

Another vote for Iodophor here.

One gallon jug of iodine udder sanitizer for $19.99 at the feed store. Can't get cheaper than that!

the_bird said:
One capful makes 2.5 gallons, IIRC (at 12.5PPM). I hope that I'm remembering correctly, 'cause that's what I use!

Another vote for Iodophor here.
this is correct. Iodophor is all i use to sanitize. i rinse everything, too, but i have great water.

5gBrewer said:
Evan, do you notice that your no-rinse Star-San creates any funky flavors in your beers?

5gB

Nope. The minuscule amount that is left after I dump it out of the carboy/bottle isn't enough to have any effect. I imagine that might change if I left a substantial amount in there, but why would I do that?

I use Iodophor.
3 capfuls in 5 gallons is approx. 18.70 ppm
I read somewhere Seibel recommends 25.00 ppm (weak tea).
I take the middle ground of 18.70 ppm and have not had any problems with off flavors - just have to let it run off of your surface before using.

Here is another plug for Star San. And the foam that so many dislike is actually an advantage! It gets its way into every little nook and cranny to sanitize it. Love the foam --- embrace the foam --- the foam is good!

You can also get a LOT of Star San into your brew and not worry about off flavours. I accidentally racked my wort into my primary that had about a quart of the stuff. Despite my fears, no problem whatsoever. Charlie Talley, the maker of Star San, has also made the claim that large amounts won't hurt your beer (in fact, it quickly degrades to yeast nutrients).

I have only used Iodophor once, and I liked it a lot too. But it doesn't foam. :(

:mug:

I used to use iodophor but I thought I was getting funny flavors from it so I switched to Star San and havent looked back. I really like the foam.

FlyGuy said:
Here is another plug for Star San. And the foam that so many dislike is actually an advantage! It gets its way into every little nook and cranny to sanitize it.
Does anyone know if this is true, or is it just something we all feel good about? Seems like the same surface tension that creates the foam and bubbles would prevent it from penetrating nooks and crannies.

Anyway, after 40+ batches with good ol' bleach (and nary an off-flavor or infection to be found), HBT has shamed me into trying Star San. Bought a big bottle on impulse on my last trip to the LHBS. Mostly, I just got tired of rinsing stuff. Went with Star San over Iodophor due to (1) no staining and (2) longer life.

We'll see how I like the foam...

Brewer3401 said:
I use Iodophor.
3 capfuls in 5 gallons is approx. 18.70 ppm
I read somewhere Seibel recommends 25.00 ppm (weak tea).
I take the middle ground of 18.70 ppm and have not had any problems with off flavors - just have to let it run off of your surface before using.

I listened to the Basic Brewing Radio interview with a guy from BTF. He said that 12.5ppm is the concentration rated for sanitizing. He said that anything above that is definite over-kill. He even mentioned that it may loss its ability to sanitize at higher concentrations.

I use what it says on the bottle:
3/10 oz for 3 gallons so I use 1/10 oz per gallon
Works well that 1/10 oz. is about 3ml and I have a small 3ml syringe.

So I draw 3ml into the syringe for 1 gallon. Usually just make 1 gallon at a time since the items do not necessarily have to be submerged in the solution.

So, the bottle is 4 oz that means I can get 40 gallons from one small bottle at $2.99/bottle. That comes out to $0.075/gallon. Don't want to do the math but that is practically as cheap as bleach.

Yeah, I see your point. However, I guess what I really meant was the foam STICKS in each nook and cranny to help keep it sanitized. You would have to make sure that the liquid Star San actually makes it in them first. But that would be true of any liquid sanitizer.

I use StarSan as well. Used to use Iodophor, wasn't big on the equipment staining and reported iodine allergy issues some people have. StarSan's a food-grade acid that's neutralized above pH 3. The foam isn't an issue and residual StarSan isn't an issue. DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!! ;) Quick contact time, never had a problem with it.

The Brewing Network did an interview with Charley Talley, pretty interesting. Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back