Chicory.. what do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
So I've come across some organic chicory root recently, and would really love to use it in a future batch of brew. My initial thoughts were to use it in some sort of a stout a la DFH, but I was wondering if there were any other styles where chicory might have some use.. also, I don't really know how to even use the stuff. I'm thinking the best thing might be to make up some "chicory tea" in my french press and dump it into secondary/ late primary, but then again I could add it during the boil (5 mins? 10 mins).. there's many options, as there always is in homebrewing.

So I guess I'm essentially asking for some suggestions. What styles would benefit from chicory besides a stout? And how much would be a good amount to use so as to avoid over powering the beer? I realize this isn't the most common of ingredients so many people may have no idea, but any suggestions would be great.

I'm quite familiar with it dried, roasted and added to a nice dark roast coffee (this is the legendary New Orleans blend coffee), but I have no idea what it tastes like on it's own. It adds body to the coffee, and I suspect it would to the beer. It was originally a coffee substitute added to roasted barley (when the coffee was available again, the chicory stayed in the mix), so your stout idea may be the way to go. I have not heard of it used anyway but dried and roasted.

You might try the making the tea just to see what it tastes like on it's own.

You might try the making the tea just to see what it tastes like on it's own.

Yeah, that's probably the best route. I'll have to try this tonight and report back with the results..

update: It's really earthy, a bit sweet, but also leaves a bitter and sour after taste. Overall I thought it was pretty good.

Man, I knew you were going to ask. We just got through moving and I haven't found all my brewing notes yet. I wanna say it was 8 oz. I added half to the boil then half from the french press into the secondary.

If I did it again I probably wouldn't add any to the boil and just add to the secondary. Try 4 oz at first in the french press and see how that tastes in the secondary. Better to undershoot it first and be able to go back and add more later than to overshoot it.

Back