5 or 6 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboogie

Reaction score
Just getting into brewing and moving beyond the initial kit. Looking at some glass carboys, curious to hear folks thoughts on 5 vs 6 gallon sizes. Too much head space in a 6 gallon carboy for most 5 gallon recipes? Do most 5 gallon recipies go over a little, will I appreciate the space?

My opinion would be to look at Better Bottles instead of glass. My first carboy was glass. I don't use it anymore. They are heavy, slippery, and can be dangerous if dropped. There are some threads on here talking about this. Better Bottles are cheap, durable, and easy to clean. They're made from food-grade plastic.

As far as size, I ferment in a 6 gallon carboy, and If I secondary I use a 5-gallon carboy. That would be for a 5-gallon batch. You need the extra head space during initial fermentation to prevent a blowoff, so a 6.5-gallon carboy is used. Of course you can always use a bucket as well.

b-boy said:
My opinion would be to look at Better Bottles instead of glass. My first carboy was glass. I don't use it anymore. They are heavy, slippery, and can be dangerous if dropped. There are some threads on here talking about this. Better Bottles are cheap, durable, and easy to clean. They're made from food-grade plastic.

As far as size, I ferment in a 6 gallon carboy, and If I secondary I use a 5-gallon carboy. That would be for a 5-gallon batch. You need the extra head space during initial fermentation to prevent a blowoff, so a 6.5-gallon carboy is used. Of course you can always use a bucket as well.

My thoughts exactly!

Back