Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueBrewer92

Reaction score
Hefeweizen
Please Comment!

5 lbs Wheat malt
4 lbs Pale ale malt
.5 lbs Munich Malt
.25 lbs Crystal 40L
.25 lbs honey Malt

.25 oz Warrior Hops 60 mins
.25 oz Horizon Hops 30 mins
.25 oz Millenium Hops 30 mins
.50 oz Cascade Hops 10 mins
.50 oz Willamette Hops 10 mins

Wyeast 3333 German wheat

I'm no hefeweizen expert, but I think the hops choices are more than a bit odd for a traditional German beer. I'd go with noble hops for a traditional hefeweizen.

Please note that recipes that are asking for input/advice go into this forum, the "Recipes/Ingredients" forum, and not into the recipe database which is only for proven winners and repeatable favorites. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/recipe-posting-guidelines-108426/ Thanks!

I have brewed Hefeweizen many times and I only use 60% wheat malt and 40% 2 row malt as fermentables. The hops that I use are either Tettnang or Hallertau for 60 minutes to reach about 15 IBU. Nothing else is needed to brew this style. You could always trade the 2 row for some pils malt. You can use the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan which is great but I usually use the Danstar Munich that gives the exact same result (aroma and taste) as the WYeast but at 1/3 the price. Ferment at 17 - 18 Celsius for 15 to 21 days. Never use fining agents as you want the cloudiness that is typical of a hefeweizen and I always bottle these because I want the yeast sediment in my glass. Enjoy one of the best beer in the world. :drunk:

http://hackerpschorr.wordpress.com/

Your recipe sounds alright to me, but I wouldn't call it Hefeweizen. Your yeast is highly flocculating and your malt and hop profile will probably overpower the yeast flavor. Hefeweizen are all about the yeast and wheat. They should be pale, hazy, and have prominent ester/phenol flavors from the yeast as well as bready flavors from the wheat. Your recipe doesn't hit on those characteristics. I don't believe you should change your recipe to fit the style, I just feel you shouldn't call it a Hefeweizen. Just call it a wheat beer. If you want a Hefeweizen, then do something simpler, like 60% wheat, 40% 2-row,1 hop addition at 60 minutes for 10-15 IBU, and pick a low flocculating German wheat beer yeast.

That being said, I like how your recipe sounds. I'm not sure what numbers you're hitting with it, but the combination of grains and hops sounds interesting.

Back